You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-2-2017 18:55:39  #1

Typewriter Meme-o-ries!

Seen them? Got them? Maybe even made them? 

Let the typewriter meme games begin...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-2-2017 18:57:23  #2

Re: Typewriter Meme-o-ries!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-2-2017 19:04:02  #3

08-2-2017 21:34:00  #4

I've seen a variant of the "You're not a real hipster" one. Sadly, it's accurate.

10-2-2017 04:46:42  #5

The corollary sadly, of course, being, 'You ARE a real hipster if...'

10-2-2017 08:27:58  #6

True enough. There was something about this in the Polt book -- some guy took his portable to the High Line trail park in Manhattan; got photographed typing. Next thing you know he's all over the internet with the caption, "You're not a real hipster unless you take your typewriter to the park." 

Maybe not a hipster necessarily, but potentially a poser. Others may disagree.

10-2-2017 10:15:36  #7

10-2-2017 21:40:58  #8

Fleetwing wrote:

True enough. There was something about this in the Polt book -- some guy took his portable to the High Line trail park in Manhattan; got photographed typing. Next thing you know he's all over the internet with the caption, "You're not a real hipster unless you take your typewriter to the park." 

Maybe not a hipster necessarily, but potentially a poser. Others may disagree.

I am familiar with the high line.  I was familiar with it for years and hoped all that time that it would somehow be preserved as a bit of Manhattan history before what was left of it was inevitably torn down -- a fate it only avoided so long because of the difficulty of demolishing heavy steel structures, neglect being an easier route.

Then it was preserved and I visited the top exactly once and walked its length with all the other what I did not know to call hipsters then but who most certainly are thinking how cool they are to be walking on the high line. That ruined it for me. I guess you can't have it both ways: it can't be both neglected and preserved. It was cool when it was unloved and surviving, now there is something missing when it is served up as a prepackaged bit of coolness requiring you only to join the madding crowd.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

11-2-2017 09:51:19  #9

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera