You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-2-2017 20:43:12  #11

Re: In praise (yet again) of the Royal FP

See posts 12 and 17 in this thread: http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1895&p=2

09-2-2017 22:45:51  #12

There are lots of variables between typewriters and machines but my recently acquired FP seems to be skittish rather than sluggish - if you don't mind your technique it skips. The solution is the same as on my last significant skipper (a Super-Riter) - keep your fingers on target and your touch staccato. Compared with the SG-1 the touch is less cushioned, but that's another incentive to type lightly. 

I think purple would be a positive attribute. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

10-2-2017 08:41:59  #13

Fleetwing wrote:

See posts 12 and 17 in this thread: http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1895&p=2

Thanks for the references Fleet, but unless I missed it, neither post clarified what is meant when a machine 'piles letters'. Considering that I own 45 Royal models and have used many more than that, if this issue was something general to the brand I should have encountered it by now. Repartee just mentioned his FP "skips," which I assume is in reference to the escapement, but that's something that any number of brands/models can be guilty of and is usually remedied by servicing that component. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2017 09:06:28  #14

Repartee wrote:

I think purple would be a positive attribute...

It's certainly an indicator that it's been repainted by someone. For some reason the FP seems to be a popular model for the rattle can set. I once passed on a FP (it ended up being bought by another collector that I know) because it had been painted gold. If I was in Beak's shoes and such machines were a rarity in my area, I would probably by the purple FP - providing it was a good deal - and simply repaint it if the purple colour ended up being too garish to tolerate.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2017 13:11:50  #15

Memories!  I trained on this exact model back in 1969.  I think the best I could get was 60 WPM with 2 errors on a 4 paragraph page of 8 1/2 X 11.  That got me a B.  The class had Underwoods, Remingtons, and Royal.  For some reason I favored the Royal.  Now, I favor the Remington or a Smith.

10-2-2017 15:50:54  #16

I suppose I'll lend my two cents about the FP.

​Right, the Royal FP. What a wonder typewriter, I find its touch to be the best that I have ever used on a standard typewriter. It's light, responsive, and just doesn't seem to want to stop. As for the piling, I have 4 Royal manual standards and this one is about the same as all of the others. If I have an extra cup of coffee that day and am too quick and jittery, the FP will skip a space or pile. But that's only happened a few times.

The style is very contemporary, showing the shift from the 50's to the 60's nicely. The build quality is excellent, a hallmark of Royals. Though for how big it is, it is rather light; I was surprised when I first lifted it up and carried it from a garage to the trunk of my car. I repainted mine baby blue, because I figured I don't have any blue typewriter save for a single Olivetti Lettera 22 (and even that is more akin to a teal). The FP is easy to repaint, for all of the panels that were originally painted, come off rather easily. I even did the side panels because I wanted a little extra pop of color.

​All in all, a wonderful typewriter, and represents the Royal line very nicely.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

10-2-2017 16:03:53  #17

The Royal FP owners thread!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

10-2-2017 16:22:39  #18

ztyper wrote:

As for the piling... am too quick and jittery, the FP will skip a space or pile.

S T I L L waiting for someone, anyone, to explain exactly what that is.  And please don't tell me that it has something to do with exceeding the typing speed the machine can work at - no one here types faster than a World Speed Champion.

10-2-2017 17:56:18  #19

Uwe wrote:

ztyper wrote:

As for the piling... am too quick and jittery, the FP will skip a space or pile.

S T I L L waiting for someone, anyone, to explain exactly what that is.  And please don't tell me that it has something to do with exceeding the typing speed the machine can work at - no one here types faster than a World Speed Champion.

Piling is when the body of one character overlaps a portion of the body of another letter.

There are numerous things that can lead to piling, some the fault of the machine, some the fault of the typist.

10-2-2017 18:12:51  #20

SoucekFan wrote:

...some the fault of the typist.

How would I replicate this? I honestly can't recall having ever experienced anything like that with any typewriter.

Board footera