You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-2-2017 18:18:59  #21

Re: In praise (yet again) of the Royal FP

Uwe wrote:

And please don't tell me that it has something to do with exceeding the typing speed the machine can work at - no one here types faster than a World Speed Champion.

It can be caused by exceeding the speed the machine can handle between two strokes, which can be done even by a slow typist who may do a certain key combination in rapid succession. When it is the fault of the typist, it may be due to poor rhythm.

10-2-2017 18:20:14  #22

Maybe your machines are all perfectly tuned, and/or your technique is really good. But, especially with Royals in my experience, you will get improperly spaced letters when you type too fast (and it's random). The first letter types fine, but the second isn't properly spaced, so the first letter looks like it's infringing the second letter's personal space, so to speak. The second letter also tends to not print well. I find it happens when I type "th" too quickly.

10-2-2017 18:24:20  #23

I have only seen what I would call piling when I reach the right margin on a typewriter that doesn't have an end-of-line lock and then the letters pile up on top of each other making a mound of ink and forcing me to try to remember what I was talking about for the last ten minutes. The phenomenon of two characters touching or overlapping I have always called crowding and when it's due to misaligned typeslugs it's always the same two characters (of course) and when it's due to a hesitant carriage, it could happen with any characters, anyplace. HTH

10-2-2017 18:27:55  #24

I'll have to experiment with trying to create that effect. It must more often be a technique issue because not all of my typewriters are in perfect tune. For those who experience this issue often, are you touch or hunt-and-peck typists? I'd definitely like to hear more people chime in on this phenomenon. 

M. Höhne wrote:

I have only seen what I would call piling when I reach the right margin on a typewriter that doesn't have an end-of-line lock...

Okay, that makes two of us, and I feel a little better now. I absolutely understand both scenarios you've described because I have experienced those situations too, but never have seen letters pile together intermittently in the middle of a page. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2017 18:40:33  #25

Uwe wrote:

SoucekFan wrote:

...some the fault of the typist.

How would I replicate this? I honestly can't recall having ever experienced anything like that with any typewriter.

You could probably replicate it on a geared-typebar Remington portable, like the 5, if you are curious; Type "pa" as fast as you can, trying to hit the second letter as quickly as you can without clashing the typebars.

10-2-2017 20:53:10  #26

If that's what 'piling' is (overprinting one letter over another) I should think it impossible on any decently made machine which is in good order.

Sincerely,
beak.

10-2-2017 21:20:27  #27

beak wrote:

If that's what 'piling' is (overprinting one letter over another) I should think it impossible on any decently made machine which is in good order.

It's perfectly normal and happens all the time on well-maintained typewriters that do not have an end-of-line lock when the typist ignores the bell (and some typewriters do not even have bells) and keeps typing at the right margin.

10-2-2017 21:26:23  #28

I thought I knew better but some things, like the fact that a person who has difficulty evaluating evidence can be completely convinced by hearsay and convince you too, it's not easy to be permanently wary of. Here I forgot the danger of assuming all understand the same thing by a word: I took "piling" to be what happens when one type bar does not get out of the way of the next in time, but some take it to mean what happens when the second type bar does not collide with the first but arrives at the paper before the carriage has advanced a full space. My FP never does either to me though my technique is not flawless! I think actually it's a bit high strung and either needs to back off the caffeine or the mainspring tension. 

By "skip" I indeed meant adding an unintended space.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

10-2-2017 21:29:50  #29

Just to clear things up, I snapped a quick pic of the ​Typewriter and Business Machines Repair Home Couse​ that I bought from a former repairman in my town last June. Buuuut, it for some reason won't load, so I'll just copy the terminology definitions

Spacing Terms
        When the spacing is insufficient, the letters will print too close together. This is called crowding​ (Figure 6A). If spacing is totally lacking, so that the letters print one on top of the other, the condition is called piling​ (Figure 6B).
​        The opposite of piling is a condition that occurs when the typewriter spacing more than it should. If a typist, for example, strikes any typing key once and the machine moves two or more spaces, this is called skipping​ (Figure 7).

​Well there you have it folks, it turns out there are many things that can go wrong with the spacing of the typewriter. The book goes on to explain that the usual cause for these ailments are user error, but it does say to check the escapement anyways and how to adjust it. And, like M. Hohne said, the book explains how crowding can occur when the typeslugs are misaligned. Personally, I've had all three of these things happen to me, on an admittedly dirty Royal FP. The worst is the Royal Arrow portable. That thing will punish me for not going steady. Anyways, I hope this clears up some of the fog, and I'll see if I can somehow upload the entire book (along with a Selectric adjustment troubleshooting manual) to the internet.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

10-2-2017 21:34:23  #30

Uwe wrote:

I'll have to experiment with trying to create that effect. It must more often be a technique issue because not all of my typewriters are in perfect tune. For those who experience this issue often, are you touch or hunt-and-peck typists? I'd definitely like to hear more people chime in on this phenomenon. 

M. Höhne wrote:

I have only seen what I would call piling when I reach the right margin on a typewriter that doesn't have an end-of-line lock...

Okay, that makes two of us, and I feel a little better now. I absolutely understand both scenarios you've described because I have experienced those situations too, but never have seen letters pile together intermittently in the middle of a page. 

Come to think of it, I have seen piling in the middle of a page. It happens when the carriage hits an immovable object to my left that I hadn't noticed, like another typewriter on a cluttered workbench. So that's how you can replicate it---move your desk next to your fridge....

I have also seen crowding IRL. I have gotten so good at certain combinations, like "th" that I sometimes outrun the escapement. But at least in that case, like Jimmy Buffet says, It's my own damn fault.

Board footera