You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2017 18:23:12  #1141

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Best find of day: Olympia SM9. Clean. Some life left in platen. It is rather chalky looking (anybody know what that is? Kind of gray film over it.) Of course--it's a mechanical wonder. It is my second, and I THINK it's an SM9, because it looks like my first. My daughter wants a hearty machine so this one will find its way to her.

11-2-2017 18:26:45  #1142

pdxtypewriter wrote:

My $30 Thrift find. Smith Corona Classic 12 in italics.

Good grab! It's hard to pass up an inexpensive Classic 12, they're such solid, easy-to-use portables. Valiant once found one for $13 in a thrift store that I was too happy to buy from him.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-2-2017 19:41:54  #1143

pdxtypewriter, your Smith-Corona Classic 12 has not an italic typeface but a script one and because of that it is working properly with regard to the line spacing. Because of the shape of some of the characters like G, C, E, and perhaps some others, S-C decided the lines would look too close together at six lines per inch vertically, which is the standard, so they made their script typewriters with four lines per inch. Works as designed.

You'll also notice that there is no provision for using a black/red ribbon; same reason; the characters are too big for the black or red stripe and would hit both at the same time. Ugly effect.

This typewriter is a little gem and looks in fine shape. Congratulations.

11-2-2017 23:45:28  #1144

Thank you, M!  I did not know this was script, and am thrilled to find it. I thought, perhaps, the spacing might be a function of the typeface but wasn't sure.

I only need a case, but eventually I'll find one!

Thanks!

12-2-2017 02:33:56  #1145

pdxtypewriter wrote:

Some life left in platen. It is rather chalky looking (anybody know what that is? Kind of gray film over it.)

I believe the chalky substance is "rubber bloom."  Certain formulations of rubber will bloom. I have seen this occur more often on certain machines such as Olympia SM7-9's, Brother, and some later Royals. Most of the platens I find with blooming, tend to be surprisingly soft, at least by a cursory feel.

12-2-2017 06:21:11  #1146

pdxtypewriter, you're on a roll! That Sears machine is sooo pretty. 

12-2-2017 11:46:53  #1147

KatLondon wrote:

pdxtypewriter, you're on a roll! That Sears machine is sooo pretty. 

I agree, Katy. My students are going to love it. Kids flock to typewriters, and it inspires all kinds of writing.

12-2-2017 12:39:16  #1148

Yes, I've done a lot of writing workshops with kids and typewriters - always a massive success! 

12-2-2017 20:56:57  #1149

Finally got a 6 CPI machine! I also love be the black and white case

17-2-2017 18:20:42  #1150

Smith-Corona Clipper, c46 (Serial # 4C168438)! $35, caught in the wild of my local antique mall. Managed to reattach the detached "Q" all by myself, like a big boy. Proud of that, since I haven't the slightest idea what I'm doing. Cleaned with some Lectra-Motive, a liberal application of PB Blaster, hundreds of q-Tips, Murphy's soap, and some Pledge. The finish is kind of dull-- was thinking =smallRenaissance wax? Looks like someone may have spray painted white pain near it because it has tiny white dots on some keys and the surface. So I'm still cleaning. It is my first celluloid key machine, and I've managed to get it typing well. 

Attached some pics and an improvised poem to show you typeface.

(Above, after cleaning.)

(Above--before the clean)

Board footera