You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-2-2017 01:53:34  #1

Stuck grub screw, stuck no more

I've been working on a Royal KMM on and off for a while. Got it cleaned up and working well, or well enough. But one thing I wasn't able to do was remove the platen and give it a good cleaning.

One of the grub screws that hold the shafts in place inside the platen was stuck fast. It was going no where. So stuck was it in fact that too much torque had broken off one side of the slot. The machine still worked, so I was resigned to leaving it as it was.

But I have a long holiday coming up and so I decided that some of my machines purchased in the last twelve months should have a bath. I set upon a plan to remove this grub screw.

Every day, once in the morning and once in the evening,  I gave it some penetrating oil. After a week I tried again, to no avail.

Frustrated and seeing no other way I got out the dremel. Using a die grinder bit I ground it flush with the shafts it was screwed into. Then with another, pointed die grinder I machined a new slot.

After some tapping, one way then another, forcing it to start turning, it came out. But not until it had bent the screwdriver.

Now the grub screw is back in place, but not as tight as before. It's just a little shorter and can still be used. Now I'm just waiting for my holiday to start so that typewriter bath time can begin.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

25-2-2017 09:46:51  #2

Re: Stuck grub screw, stuck no more

You were lucky in your case that a portion of the set screw was protruding from the shaft. Good job! What brand of penetrating oil were you using? Some brands, it seems, work better than others. Seized screws are never much fun, and one hopes that the least invasive methods will work when removing them before more serious measures are employed such as heat, easy-out type screw extractors, or drilling the old set screw out. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-2-2017 21:13:23  #3

Wow, that was some real patience with some expertise thrown in!  A good penetrating oil I've come across is called Kroil.  I discovered it while working as a millwright. It is truly good stuff, and truly expensive. But I've always kept a can handy in the shop, and it's the best I've found so far.  You can usually find at an industrial supply.

26-2-2017 08:18:58  #4

The penetrating oil I was using was a brand called Sonax MoS2oil.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

Board footera