You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-11-2016 13:36:00  #41

Re: What kind of paper are you using?

Just trying out some Ryman typing paper which is A4 80gsm.
I bought this in a Ryman's shop in St Albans which is cathedral city founded originally by the Romans just to the North of London so quite an old fashioned place in some ways which is why I thought it would be a good place to look for typing paper when I had about half an hour to spare prior to a meeting.

The paper does type better than the standard laser printer paper I usually use. The text looks crisper. The paper looks less smooth than laser printer paper. I do have some 1970s WH Smith typing paper somewhere which will turn up eventually and will make an interesting comparison.

24-11-2016 19:21:54  #42

OldGreyBeard wrote:

Just trying out some Ryman typing paper which is A4 80gsm.
I bought this in a Ryman's shop in St Albans which is cathedral city founded originally by the Romans just to the North of London so quite an old fashioned place in some ways which is why I thought it would be a good place to look for typing paper when I had about half an hour to spare prior to a meeting.

The paper does type better than the standard laser printer paper I usually use. The text looks crisper. The paper looks less smooth than laser printer paper. I do have some 1970s WH Smith typing paper somewhere which will turn up eventually and will make an interesting comparison.

I recently picked up some 28 lb. paper at Staples (office supply chain) labeled as "bright white laser paper". That is some seriously heavy paper which the conversion chart at

http://www.okidata.com/understanding-paper-weight

informs me is equivalent to 105gsm, whereas the de facto American standard for office paper appears to be 20 lbs or 75gsm. It takes a nice impression and might eliminate the need for a backing sheet, and I suppose the extra 30% or 40% thickness should not really be more significant than its minor extra cost but it does seem to hog space in a binder. What I learned though was that punching through paper is more about the typewriter than the paper. If the typewriter is well behaved you can use both sides of standard multipurpose paper and if it is not this thicker paper does not help much.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

20-2-2017 00:26:19  #43

I use what I like to refer to as 'utility paper' for all my general typing and, standard office copy/inkjet printer paper for letter writing.

I got the idea of finding the utility paper from Joe V and found a great deal for 750 sheet reams of something called "letter, printer paper" sold at Target stores during the fall back to school sales.
These extra large reams can be had for $7.00 (US) and I try not to be selfish by limiting myself to 4 reams at a time.
It is made in the US for Target stores and others.
I have never used it in anything but a typewriter but it works well with a standard cloth/inked ribbon and is very readable in either black or red.
I have not tried it with the carbon/plastic tape machines but I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well.
I also like some paper I find at Hobby Lobby that looks like old news print paper but has a thickness close to the construction paper we used as kids.
Because this paper is rather soft I usually use it in one of the thrust action machines ("Noiseless") as it is sometimes easy to pierce the paper with the type slugs.
My kids find it amusing to look for holes made by the period, to see if I am writing in code to someone.....
I'm not sure where they get such active imaginations from.
Maybe I should take away their typewriters (?)  

24-2-2017 09:35:58  #44

I use 6x9" sheets from Mead's Plain Writing Tablet (70104) for my journal. I like the 2:3 aspect ratio, and since most of my typewriters are 11-12cpi, I usually end up with 55 characters per line. If I want to write letters, this paper folds neatly into your average envelope.

It's cheap, unfancy paper, but it works.

26-2-2017 19:48:28  #45

Lately, I've been using onion skin paper made in Germany bought from The Paper Mill Store. It's not cheap at $38 per 500 sheets, but I save at least a stamp when I mail a six-page letter. For journal purposes, I commonly use extra-white bond paper, but I've started to use linen paper because I like the contrast. 

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

27-2-2017 20:48:08  #46

I'm using LIFE typewriting paper T21. It's quite smooth for fountain pen writing too.  

28-2-2017 01:08:09  #47

Kaweco Sport = great taste!  Ever use yours as an eyedropper?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-2-2017 03:21:44  #48

I don't run through enough ink to warrant converting a pen into an eyedropper. 

Most of my pens are cartridge and not piston style.
I think I'd need to write a lot more in order to finish a cartridge in a day. 

Perhaps we should start a fountain pen thread? Or is that sacrilege on here? 

28-2-2017 10:25:34  #49

We have an Off-Topic sub-forum where such threads are encouraged, and in fact already exist! 

The Official Fountain Pen Thread 

Most of my Kaweco pens are used as eyedroppers, and work very well in that capacity, the only caveat being that you have to be very careful with them when traveling by air as they tend to burp - a lot. I'm not sure what you mean by running through ink: it can take me a couple of months to fully use up the ink in pens that have lesser-used colours in them. For me the added capacity of an eyedropper is a big bonus.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-3-2017 19:22:52  #50

I've narrowed down my pen collection to 7 pens and they're all inked and in rotation. 

I guess I want ink to run down so I can rotate inks too  

It's a fun limitation to set to make sure everything gets used. 

Board footera