You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-3-2017 21:44:57  #1211

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Another Brother, this time a sweet little blue one. Good rubber, reasonably clean.

11-3-2017 22:06:16  #1212

Stumbled upon this. Case in good shape (not pictured.) Some problems; the carriage return lever is missing the piece that folds up, and the paper feeding function is not advancing very well using the carriage return, so I just advance it by hand by turning the platen.  Something undoubtedly needs adjusting.

But it's a marvel of engineering.

11-3-2017 23:32:12  #1213

Ampelmann wrote:

I think it may actually be made in Canada.  I subsequently found the actual plate!  It was buried under dirt...

Okay, so Oliver (the man) was actually Canadian (I'm glad I got that right), and the majority of those pre-English Oliver models were made in Woodstock, Illinois, but the short-lived Canadian-made variant is news to me. Great find!  Is there something on the upper part of that plate? It looks like it's being obscured by something in your photo.

I hope you find the time to create a thread for this machine in the Early Typewriters sub-forum! I know it technically isn't an early typewriter, but having carried an Oliver I've always been at a loss to catergorize them because they're the size of a large portable but have the weight of a standard.

United Typewriter Co. was, according to my notes, founded in 1896 and grew to include locations across Canada. I've only ever associated the company with Underwood models (its Toronto Head Office was located in the "Underwood Building"), and Dalton adding machines, so it was interesting to see one of its sticker on your Oliver.

United's Head Office in 1920. The building is long gone and the area is now the location of a large hospital.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-3-2017 00:00:48  #1214

I was on the hunt today with fellow Typewriter Talk member Valiant and picked up four machines. Three were electric typewriters: a later model Smith-Corona electric that I haven't even looked at yet, an IBM Selectric that I've yet to test, and an Olivetti Lettera 36. The Olivetti is typical in that its design is fantastic and that it doesn't work. I poked around under the hood for a little while and have it running now, but it's going to take a few more hours to bring it fully back to life.

The final machine was a 1927 Remington Portable, which I admit has me a bit confused because its manufacture year suggests it should be a Portable 2, but a number of its features have more in common with a Portable 1 than a Portable 2, so I'll have to spend some time to figure it out. The typewriter was made in the U.S. as an export model and was originally sold in March, 1927 by a typewriter shop in Charlottenburg, which is a district of Berlin, Germany. At some point the typewriter made its way to Canada, I would speculate in the hands of German immigrants, and although it's seen better days and needs some tweaking, it types well enough to use. I've only ever seen one other like it locally, and that was in an antique shop that was asking $250 (it's been in that shop for at least two years now).

We also spotted a grey Royal Quiet De Luxe with very good paint, an early '50s model, and although its $58 asking price tempted us, but we both passed on the machine. I already owned an example of the model, albeit in a different colour, and Valiant already had an Arrow from that generation. 

1927 Remington Portable 2(?) with German keyboard:

One of the things that amuses me the most about these portables is how busy the left end of the carriage is with its mess of levers and quirky carriage lock. Since I was playing around with this model today it seemed like a good opportunity to document them:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-3-2017 00:18:40  #1215

Nice diagram UWE. Thanks!

16-3-2017 00:11:26  #1216

I LOVE THIS MACHINE.

Probably common to you across the pond, but I've never seen one around Portland. An English friend gifted it to me. I'm not sure how to date it, because I don't really understand what the model is. A Klein? Probably sometime in the 30s. Serial # R 201744.

16-3-2017 03:47:21  #1217

Lovely! Yes, that's a Klein, and they are seriously wonderful little machines. Mine's serial no. 237001 and I've dated it to 1937 on TWDB; the paper rest is a little bit different, but that's just a point of mild interest. It's one of my favourite things. And such a delicious-feeling little machine, small and just kind of personal. And a great typer, snappy and nimble. 

16-3-2017 11:23:54  #1218

I love the type action on my Klein-Contintental. It is probably my favorite in terms of feel for a portable. It is tough to describe, but it almost feels like a light piano action. It feels like it has just the right counterweight and bit of bounce. It is so satisfying.

16-3-2017 22:57:01  #1219

The latest acquisition.  Royal Futura 800.  So far, a very nice typer.  Color is cool.  I put in a matching blue ribbon.    No case.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

17-3-2017 12:55:28  #1220

I got one like that back in the fall. It has a nice typing action, with a nice typeface -- sort of a Congress style. Its problem is that the vibrator is missing a spring that keeps the pivoting parts of the ribbon guide (which pinch together to allow you to install or remove the ribbon) vertical. As a result, they flop open and the ribbon tends to ride up and sometimes out of the vibrator. Annoying.

Board footera