You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-3-2017 00:00:06  #1221

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Finally got my Remington Quiet-Riter! PBBlaster freed the keys, and now this super-clean machine is a snappy edition to my collection. Have not dated it yet.

18-3-2017 13:49:57  #1222

OMG I've done a thing. It's all because of the conversation about a Swissa Junior - a machine I've been hankering after for literally YEARS and not ever seen one for sale. I do periodically search... Well I did a search again today and GUESS WHAT. there's one on Etsy. In fact, two. Reduced from their pre-XMas price and the first I've ever seen for actual sale. I have NO money. None. Less than none. A stack of bills. BUT I've written and we've agreed that he'll hold it for me for a bit till I get paid and this & that... So basically, I don;t have it yet, but there is a pretty little Swissa Junior with a cute techno typeface and, literally, my name on it. I just have to get listing things on eBay... :D

18-3-2017 16:23:09  #1223

pdxtypewriter wrote:

PBBlaster freed the keys...

It makes me cringe every time you mention using that stuff... 

Those Remingtons are underrated in my books, and as a bonus the one you got is finished in a less-often-seen colour.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-3-2017 16:35:30  #1224

KatLondon wrote:

OMG I've done a thing.

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, Kat, but he's been trying to sell that typewriter for over two years - even within this forum. If it were me I'd be patient and wait for a more reasonably priced one to come along. And one certainly will. There's probably a good reason that no one has bought his Swissa so far at that price, just a cursory look at the photos reveals that it's missing paint; is this really a typewriter worth financially stretching yourself for?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-3-2017 18:10:20  #1225

Uwe wrote:

pdxtypewriter wrote:

It makes me cringe every time you mention using that stuff... 

Those Remingtons are underrated in my books, and as a bonus the one you got is finished in a less-often-seen colour.

PB Blaster is a widely used product for cleaning these machines. It is used and recommended by old school repairmen, and when used in well ventilated areas is as safe as any other solvent. It should not be used on plastic, so care must be used there. It is flammable, so materials used in cleaning should be bagged and submerged in water, just like you'd do with oil pant rags in an artist's studio.

I have no problem using it. Others on this very forum have both used it and recommended it. I'm not sure why you cringe.

18-3-2017 18:35:38  #1226

Uwe wrote:

pdxtypewriter wrote:

I agree. I think it's a marvelously built machine. It feels very solid, almost like one of the smaller Royal standards. I'm happy to have found it. Works wonderfully and the case is in great shape too. I think it's my favorite post war portable. 

19-3-2017 10:44:18  #1227

Underwood 450 - http://imgur.com/a/v10nO

Ribbon selector linkage was unconnected and the previous user put the Olivetti spool nuts on upside down, but otherwise in great condition. Only took a few minutes to fix and the text imprint quality is amazing. First and probably only plastic bodied machine, but it's hard for me to pass up a Lettera 32 in any form.

Also picked up another Hermes 3000 (no pictures yet). Smells like cigarettes so I've stripped all the felt out, cleaned up the case, and hit it all with some Ozium. Only other problem with it is that when I use the shift key everything gets stuck down, and won't release without using your finger to push it back up. Can't see any missing springs, bent linkages or obstructions. Cleaned it up with mineral spirits. We'll see where it is in a few days...

19-3-2017 15:01:22  #1228

I found this old Woodstock in a little town in Eastern Oregon, USA. The seller was an older gentleman who said it was in the family for years; beyond what he or his wife could remember. It was from her side.  The "B"  s/n seem to indicate it's from some time between 1916 to 1920.  I like the good shape. It will need the COA, cleaning, oiling, and adjusting.  As it is it types ok, just the "C" and ";" keys are slow and the carriage has a tad bit of slop. The 2nd image shows the old cover in the background. It appears to be an old rubberized fabric, similar to vintage rain coats.  This will be a fine project with minimum turn around.  Picking up repair skill as I go.

19-3-2017 16:29:48  #1229

pdxtypewriter wrote:

PB Blaster is a widely used product for cleaning these machines. ... It is used and recommended by old school repairmen, ... I have no problem using it. Others on this very forum have both used it and recommended it.

To each his own; if you're convinced that penetrating oil should be used to clean a typewriter then it really doesn't matter what I think, but I do disagree with your quoted claims. I personally don't know anyone who uses penetrating oil to clean a typewriter, especially not any of the "old school" typewriter servicemen that I've met, so it's definitely not a "widely used" product in that role. And I'm surprised that anyone in this forum would have recommended it as a cleaning product. Do you recall who that was?

Products such as PB Blaster are formulated to free rusted parts, and it's only when I have to deal with a seized nut or screw that I would ever think to reach for a can of penetrating oil. Despite the fantastic sales rhetoric that's printed on penetrating oil cans, the product is not an all purpose miracle spray. If you want to properly clean the mechanical components of a typewriter they should first be degreased using mineral spirits or a similar product, and only once the parts are clean and working freely should a light oil (sewing machine oil is great) be applied to a few specific components. 

As for the reason I cringe, it's because the last machine I bought online had been "cleaned" using penetrating oil, every square inch of its guts sprayed down like it was a bicycle chain or a squeaking door hinge, and I was forced to dunk clean the typewriter to get rid of it all.

19-3-2017 18:20:22  #1230

Well, you are making assumptions that you have no basis for. No one said it was an all purpose miracle spray. You have no idea, because you didn't ask, whether I use mineral spirits first or even mineral spirits as a wash after using this product. So, again, as you said, there's no reason discussing it. I find it useful, I use it properly, I'll stick to my statement, and you can stick with yours. 

Had you asked, "how do you use this?" then it could have prompted a conversation. Instead, you just jumped to a conclusion based on the machine you received in the mail that had been dosed in PB Blaster. It's a useful product, in my opinion, if it's used carefully.

There it is.  I think I'll move on from this forum There are other places where one can be educated and converse in a much more cordial spirit.  Good luck to you all.

Board footera