You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-1-2014 07:55:43  #11

Re: Olympia SG1

I have an SG1. A former student passed it on to me for $10 after cleaning out his grandmother's attic. Even after sitting idle for about twenty years, it types like a dream. Great machine.

22-1-2014 04:25:42  #12

What should one expect to pay for a functional, cosmetically good looking SG1?

I wouldn't mind having one of these on hand, and given that there's one local to me, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm just wondering if I'm getting a deal here or not: the seller has it listed at $260.

But, might I reiterate the weight, 39 lbs! I thought my selectric was heavy at 20 lbs. This won't be an easy haul home...

22-1-2014 13:36:48  #13

Value is a geographic thing. Obviously you can expect to pay more for a typewriter that was never readily available in your area and consequently is more difficult to find. However, the SG1 was exported and were used across North America, so I wouldn't put them in this category.

The SG1 that I just bought was being offered for free. I was the second person in line, and suggested to the seller that I would gladly give him $30 should the first person in line not be interested (I wanted to demonstrate that I was committed to picking up the machine). Long story short, I paid $30 for it.

Personally, I think $260 for an SG1 in your area (Vancouver, right?) is completely insane. I'd wait for another to turn up, or for the seller to realise that his asking price is unrealistic. Most standards, with the exception of pre-war models, do not sell as well as portables. Non-collectors want cute, colourful little machines and shy away from the behemoths that will sag desks and break backs.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-1-2014 13:41:51  #14

Sounds good. Thanks for the input on price. I'll try and see if he'll do a trade deal or go down on the price a tad. (a significant tad, I guess)

on a similar note, and I hope I'm not de-railing this topic too much, but how much should one expect to pay for a Flexowriter or a functional Teletype? This would be for a desktop model, not those huge Teletypes (like the Model 28).

22-1-2014 15:16:04  #15

Good question. I've never actually seen on come up for sale, so I imagine they must be fairly rare. A functional teletyper - something that I've always wanted too - can usually be found on eBay, but they aren't cheap and shipping is usually as much or more than the machine. Considering these machines were mostly business-use items, most were probably scrapped over the years as opposed to the used typewriters that are on the market, most of which were found in the back of someone's closet.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-1-2014 15:26:33  #16

Hmm, too bad. I'd really like to have one of those set up. I've been searching for a way to play around with early types of data storage, punched tape/cards being one of those medias. There's a model 28 I'd kill to have on eBay, but it's just under $1000. 

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I'm going to make an effort to educate myself well with typewriters and repair, and collect and handful of good models. I think there is a lacking number of people who appreciate the engineering challenges faced when building a machine to put words on paper. 

11-3-2014 18:14:23  #17

I find it a little bizarre that the U.S. Navy used an Olympia SG-1 as a radio mill. The obvious reason is that they wanted to use the best typewriter ever built.  It was far more common to find Royal and Underwood machines in this role.

This photo was reportedly taken aboard the U.S.S. Robert E. Lee in 1966.

I love the SG-1 so much that I just bought a second one. It's a later model and it was interesting to note the changes that were made to it over the years. This one cost me $60, twice what I paid for the first one, but I was so impressed with the model that I thought it was worth the cost. Unfortunately, the second one has an issue with the ribbon transport mechanism that I'm still trying to figure out. Other than that it works perfectly and like the first one it's a complete pleasure to type with.

06-4-2014 03:42:09  #18

GOT ONE!

Not with me yet, but on its way.  Researching in every spare moment (which means almost none at all so far - bloody work always getting in the way of this more serious stuff) so interested in any relevant sites anyone has found.  More news and pictures when it arrives, if you like.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-4-2014 12:42:41  #19

Uwe, re that ribbon transport problem on your new SG1---I had an issue in which the ribbon takeup would not move the ribbon in either direction. The problem turned out to be easily fixed; if you're lucky, your problem will be the same. The light spring on the advance pawl that pushes the ribbon support around was not strong enough to overcome the grease or oil or something on the pawl spindle. Cleaning the bearing area on those spindles (one for each spool) clears up the problem. Alcohol works quickly for me but not permanently; I’ll have to find a better cleanser.

== Michael Höhne

06-4-2014 18:05:15  #20

Michael, thanks. I have since I wrote that post got it working fairly well. And what I did was clean every single linkage in the transport mechanism along with those pivot points. I attacked everything with Varsol and then followed up with oil. However, I'm going to replace those springs eventually as they are ridiculously weak - I suspect intentionaly so for some reason - but a little more tension would make a big difference.

Beak, congratulations on finding one. Please don't tell me it's being shipped to you. If so, it must have cost a fortune in postage as the SG1 is one of the heaviest standards I own - especially when it has the wider carriage. Can't wait to see the photos - and serial number too.

Board footera