You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-3-2017 02:29:46  #111

Re: SG Owners Club

Just joined the club. This one has some issues, but man, what an epic monster. Love it. I have a line on another in much better condition, and I may soon have a duo. This one I'll use to learn how to tinker.

28-3-2017 20:34:51  #112

Just joined the club today! Bought my 1962 SG1 with paper rest off craigslist for $40 (*bragging*).

Question--it'll have to be cleaned up, but one thing I notice is that the when I use the paper injector, the paper hits the paper bail rollers in front, rather than going underneath them. It crinkles the paper on top. Any suggestions on what I need to adjust? I could just lift up the paper bail, but that takes away from the fun of the injector system.

28-3-2017 22:08:33  #113

I have only ever used one machine which did not require the bail to be lifted when inserting paper - and I think that may have been mere fortuitous chance.  Others may know better, but I think it is standard practice to raise the bail.

Sincerely,
beak.

28-3-2017 23:40:19  #114

In the manual for the SG1 Super De Luxe, it says, "the paper feeds automatically, i.e., the paper bail need not be raised." Granted, I have the SG1 De Luxe and not the Super De Luxe, so I'm not sure if there's a difference in models.

28-3-2017 23:53:38  #115

Congratulations on the SG1, Nick.  $40 is a good price for one, and worth a bit of brag...

The paper should automatically go under the paper bail rollers when you use the injector, so try the following:
1. Clean the rollers and platen (I recommend rubber rejuvenator spray, but rubbing alcohol can also be used).
2. It's unlikely this is the issue, but try different paper types. I haven't come across a paper that didn't auto feed under the rollers, but it's worth a quick try. I always use a backing sheet and it doesn't have an issue dealing with two sheets either.
3. Make sure the alignment guides (those plastic rulers on either side of the type point) are set to "I". If they're set to "II" the paper might not curl under the rollers as it should.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-3-2017 23:56:19  #116

nick wrote:

Granted, I have the SG1 De Luxe and not the Super De Luxe, so I'm not sure if there's a difference in models.

Not when it comes to the issue you're experiencing. The difference is with the machine's feature set and the auto feed should work on both model types.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-3-2017 08:51:08  #117

1) What are the features that a Super de Luxe has vs. a De Luxe SG1?

2) I think it's the plastic alignment guides that aren't allowing the paper to go under the paper bail rollers. Even when I set them to I, the closest they get to the platen is still too far away. I just detached the alignment guides from the metal arm underneath that is set by the I, II, 0. Now they are resting limply on the platen itself, and the paper works with the injector system without a problem. So I think that's the issue--I have to figure out out to get the I setting a little closer to the platen itself. I don't want to leave the alignment guides detached because I think there's a chance they'll snap off if I forget and replace the carriage on top of them one day.

29-3-2017 22:35:31  #118

It depends on the model year - and potentially the retail market it was sold in. The SG1 was originally available in four variants, but three years into its production history Olympia pared that number down to two. The original Super model featured a decimal tabulator and paper injector, but the nomenclature for SG1s changed over the years, which is why you can De Luxe models with the paper injector.

30-3-2017 11:05:14  #119

Good, glad to hear that there might not be a difference between a Super De Luxe and De Luxe for my 1962 model. Otherwise, I would have to start looking for a Super De Luxe...

30-3-2017 12:54:04  #120

Regarding your issues with the paper bail, I don't really picture what's going on with the alignment guide on your machine. However, you should be able to adjust the clearance of the paper bail (i.e. the rollers) from the platen. I did it on my SG3, and I think it works the same with the SG1: If you swing the metal flap that rests on the platen from behind up and toward the back of the machine, you will see on either end a cylindrical metal piece that tapers to a flat edge. There is a slot in that edge, which enables you to turn the whole piece. If you adjust each of those pieces, the amount the bail is raised above the platen should change. It's a sort of cam mechanism. Play around and see how you fare.

Board footera