You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-4-2017 13:19:13  #1

Key for locked Smith-Corona portable case

Hi everyone. We have a Smith Corona portable typewriter that came in a nice locking case. Unfortunately, our 8-year-old has locked the case and lost the key.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get a replacement key?

05-4-2017 13:39:38  #2

Re: Key for locked Smith-Corona portable case

Do you know what year/model the Smith-Corona is? The travel cases for the portables changed a lot over the years so it's difficult to suggest anything unless you know exactly which travel case is being discussed. Also, where are you located? There might be someone local to you that can be of help.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-4-2017 13:51:18  #3

I've used a very small screw driver to unlock a couple of cases. I had to carefully feel around lock internals to feel what moved ... 

05-4-2017 14:00:59  #4

A locksmith should be able to jimmy it open, and can fashion a replacement key from a blank. I had a locksmith do the very same thing (for $25), only to find the lost key later.

05-4-2017 14:11:41  #5

We are in Calgary, Alberta.

The typewriter is a baby blue "M-R". The case is grey and says "Galaxie" on it. 

Thanks for the suggestions! I might try to find a local typewriter shop to see if they have anything.

05-4-2017 14:51:59  #6

Surely Calgary has locksmiths -- probably more of them than typewriter stores! In any event, they ought to be able to get the case opened.

05-4-2017 15:01:30  #7

I found one store called Brentwood Equipment. They are going to take a look around. I'll call a locksmith next though, definitely a good idea.

07-4-2017 00:24:13  #8

Woo-Hoo! Another TT member in Alberta ! ! !

​Hi Charmed, doesn't that just figure, you want to type, but can't. I have 2 Galaxie class typewriters in cases, but neither has a key. If any member who owns a Galaxie class like a Galaxie XII or a Classic XII that has the case key could PM me a picture of said key on 1 cm quad or graph paper, I could probably fashion a key from thin steel, check it in one of my cases, then just mail it to you (along with a typed note of course).

​I have dealt with Brentwood Business machines before, they did an excellent job of getting my wife's IBM Selectric up and running again. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

07-4-2017 21:19:59  #9

I have a 60s era S-C Galaxie  12 in the case and it's the only one I have with an actual key.
Not surprising that this key looks very much like a typical "one key fits all" garden tractor key.
I dare say that a couple of dollars for a replacement key and a little carful filling would make a working key for your S-C case.

Board footera