You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-4-2017 04:51:36  #1

Help with (apparently) weird Rheinmetall

I am cleaning an old Rheinmetall from 60, or that is what I found out with the help of google. Now I have a question that Google can't answer or I don't make the right question. This typewriter has two ribbons! One is the standard looking black normal one. The other one is a pelican 2050 8mm roll that is hosted in the sides of the typewriter. I have no idea if is just a modified sg, if is a model with name, and most important, why would a typewriter have 2 different types of ribbons? My theory is that the plastic one could be for bold font ;) naaa just imagining, I have no idea of typewriters and I would really appreciate some help.  If any detail could help to solve the mistery let me know.

12-4-2017 06:24:50  #2

Re: Help with (apparently) weird Rheinmetall

I know virtually nothing about Rheinmetall typewriters, but some standard-size typewriters did have a second set of spools, mounted on the side like yours, which held not the fabric ribbon but a film ribbon for one-time use (like electronic typewriters and the IBM Selectrics). The film ribbon would have been used for when you wanted a very sharp printed page -- official correspondence or perhaps to make an original document that would be copied.

12-4-2017 08:01:47  #3

Yes, it is for a carbon ribbon, for a crisp image. Having both cloth and carbon ribbons in the typewriter at the same time made it pretty easy to switch between them for everyday correspondence and notes versus crisp presentation typing. Pretty common for later office typewriters, but they seem to be less than 10% of the finds today. The ribbons are on a spool of about 4 inches diameter usually without flanges, so don't drop them.

12-4-2017 14:56:16  #4

Thanks guys! According to the serial number it was produced the year 1951. And a sticker of Wurth, I guess manteinance, was put there the year 2000! Is quite a long life span for a office typewriter!

13-4-2017 18:24:03  #5

It is working! Nice and smoth!

Then still I don't find anything about this very model, absolutely nothing in internet. Does anyone know how is the actual name of the "film ribbon" upgrade? How are this type of machines called?  And also, where I can buy new film if still exist?

13-4-2017 20:42:18  #6

Well by the time this is over, maybe you will be the one to put the explanations and details on the internet,

The dual ribbon system was not an "upgrade" the way we think of it now, as something that can be added by an end user; it was an option to be ordered as a new machine. I don't think it has an official name. It was called different things by different manufacturers. Generically, call it a dual ribbon system and be prepared to explain what you are talking about, since most people don't know anything about this.

Replacement ribbons? Don't know if they're still made. Try online auctions, try "carbon ribbon". If you ask at office supply stores, don't say "typewriter" because they think they don't have typewriter stuff and they'll blow you off. A company that made a lot of ribbons was (is?) NuKote so see if they have a website.

16-4-2017 16:15:30  #7

Thanks M. Höhne for the help. I'm finding some info here and there, is something about Rheinmetall kst, which is a portable, but barely nothing about the Gs in the net, so I am learning with the practice on the machine. It is really a nice thing to do! I will definitely post a full post about everything I found out if anyone comes across this typewriter, which is been a nice and challenging to find out!

22-4-2017 15:05:31  #8

I do have a box of 11 of these ribbons left in stock, but they are pretty old - 1980's I would guess.  You might be able to get similar carbon ribbon by breaking open a plastic cartridge intended for a modern electronic typewriter.  These used 8mm carbon film ribbon too. 

30-4-2017 19:04:57  #9

Thanks, I am from Iceland so basically shipping and taxes cost more than the actual product most of the time.  I will try to get a newer typewriter and steal from it the carbon ribbon. Anyway the typewriter is really really dirty and even after cleaning it has some troubles with the tabs. I just got another one for practising the cleaning!

02-2-2018 00:19:10  #10

I am certainly not a photographer, but here it goes the Rheinmetall big mama.

Board footera