You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-4-2017 19:01:15  #1271

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I've still got this gargantuan Remington 17. 
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=11084#p11084 
Still haven't really done anything with it.
My older Remingtons (10, 12) do have a much heavier "pop" action to them, which I rather enjoy. 

02-4-2017 19:09:54  #1272

Markmotown wrote:

I've still got this gargantuan Remington 17. 
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=11084#p11084 
Still haven't really done anything with it.
My older Remingtons (10, 12) do have a much heavier "pop" action to them, which I rather enjoy. 

OMG!  Field Artillery comes to my mind.  What forms went in that?  Ballistics tables?  My personal finance? 

02-4-2017 19:51:46  #1273

CoronaJoe wrote:

What forms went in that?  Ballistics tables?  My personal finance? 

One that wide may have been used for things such as adding text to maps, diagrams, and designs.

02-4-2017 22:57:54  #1274

Markmotown, I have a Remington Noiseless with an 18" carriage but, yours certainly takes the cake!!
Interesting to see that the key tops and other operating levers and knobs are the same on both of our machines.
I'm thinking that would  place them around the same year of manufacture.
One striking difference between our machines is that mine has 4" diameter ribbon spools on it.
Not too surprising that there is only a standard length ribbon mounted.
I wish there was a source for bulk un-inked ribbon stock.   

03-4-2017 04:48:48  #1275

colrehogan wrote:

Kat, I wish I had your luck! Around here on Craigslist are Underwood 5 machines that are absolutely filthy and people want $200 for them.

Yeah, London is an overpriced market too. Everyone's convinced that everything's worth tons of money. (Then again, it's just a stupid city for trying to live in; no wonder everyone's trying to rake in a few more ££s.) But I watch eBay like a hawk, and I'm selective. 

03-4-2017 04:49:32  #1276

And Beak, thanks! I might homemake one just like it. ;) x

13-4-2017 19:45:17  #1277

​I've gotten a few more typewriters recently. I'll just post a couple today. My typer fever was in a long remission, but now it's come back stronger than ever. It helps that I'm actually using them for work rather than just typing: "This is a Smith Corona. Wow, it has a really nice feel. I like how snappy yet quiet this typewriter is. I haven't figured out how to set the margins yet, yada, yada, yada . . ." 

So first up is the Smith Corona. I have on identical colored Silent, but this Sterling has an elite typeface. I was on the fence at $48 at an antique shop, but then I went back and got it. Was very clean. I really love these.

Then I spotted this Royal (10?) on Craigslist for $50. It's pretty clean despite one pane of glass having a crack in it. Still needs some clean up, but I did two pages on it today and was quite pleased. I date this to 1926. The guy who sold it was a bit of a typewriter enthusiast himself, but he was more into portables. That's what I used to say, too.

The glass keys are surprisingly hard on my fingertips. I never appreciated how the contoured keys on my more modern (ha!) typers are much more fingertip friendly. I found a manual online and it didn't show the typewriter having ribbon covers. Did these not have spool covers or are they just lost?

13-4-2017 20:08:07  #1278

WIWriter wrote:

​ Did these not have spool covers or are they just lost?

Royal 10's do not have spool covers. They are open like yours. Beautiful machine.

13-4-2017 22:33:08  #1279

Nice! I just bought an Underwood 5.  I haven't posted any pictures of it yet.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

14-4-2017 12:31:04  #1280

Good score on the Royal 10.  Next to the 1938 KHM, it is absolutely my favorite goto typewriter.

Board footera