You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-4-2017 11:50:45  #1

Smith-Corona Super Sterling carriage issues

Hello,
I recently bought a Smith-Corona Super Sterling typewriter at a thrift store (I should also mention that this is my first time owning a typewriter and I know very little about them). When I first used the typewriter, it was working fine. However, when I hit the power space key, since then the carriage would not return to the right. When I hit return, the carriage moves all the way to the right, but then does not lock into place there. It just slides all the way back to the left. I'm want to try to fix it myself, but I have no idea where to start. I should also mention that this problem did not occur until I hit the power space bar. When I was typing on it, I could hit return and the carriage would lock into place, ready to type a new line again. It did that several times and seemed fine. After I hit the power return key, the carriage will not stay in place to be ready to type. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

18-4-2017 12:02:15  #2

Re: Smith-Corona Super Sterling carriage issues

Check under the machine (or remove any panel) to se if anything obvious has dislodged like a spring.  

I'm wondering if the escapement mechanism is dirty and has stuck in a position which effectively means the carriage is continually free as opposed to being locked into each respective tooth of the gear.

I don't have a Stirling, I have a Super, but mine is exposed underneath.  If yours is like mine, the escapement is the geared circular toothed wheel at the bottom middle of the underside of the typewriter.  Have you attempted to clean the machine yet? maybe dust off the machine very carefully with a brush, making sure you don't knock off any springs.  I don't like compressed air because it can blow dirt further in.  Then when the machine is clear of removable debris and is just oily and sticky, clean it with white spirits, making sure you don't get any on any of the plastic keys or finish.  Do this outdoors as it gives you a headache.  Use a clean brush and apply to all the metal moving parts, wiping any other parts with a lint free cloth. Keep moving the various keys on the keyboard so that all of the parts get a good wiggle whilst they are damp from the white spirits.  When the machine is spotless, wipe it dry.  I use a hair dryer and have never had a problem, but, white spirit is highly flammable so you do this AT YOUR OWN RISK.  Once all the white spirits has been evaporated away, very lightly oil any moving parts with the tiniest of drops of high quality oil, like sewing machine oil, or gun oil. If you're not sure whether to oil it, check in with us.  Over oiling or oil in the wrong place can cause further problems.  Don't use grease or cheap oil.  This hopefully should free up the mechanism.

18-4-2017 12:03:21  #3

If you want to show any pictures of have any specific questions, you can message me privately and I'll be happy to help.  Replies can be slow or non-existent on here (if nobody knows how to help)

18-4-2017 15:47:53  #4

Platenboy wrote:

If you want to show any pictures of have any specific questions, you can message me privately and I'll be happy to help.  Replies can be slow or non-existent on here (if nobody knows how to help)

FYI, the Super Sterling is an electric typewriter. And the point of having an open forum for repair issues is that it might help others later on who encounter a similar problem. If you resolve this particular problem through Private Messaging it won't be of any help to others.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-4-2017 10:27:35  #5

UWE, just a quick question, are you the only moderator on this website?

19-4-2017 17:56:20  #6

Yes.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-4-2017 06:15:04  #7

Thanks

Board footera