You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-3-2013 21:55:29  #1

Backspace Mechanism - '68 Olympia Splendid 66

I'm having issues with an Olympia Splendid 66, which essentially is an SF model. The backspace key is causing me fits. When I depress it, it stays stuck in the depressed position. A little nudge on its underside and it pops back up.

I figured it was an easy fix, most likely one of its numerous levers or linkages was binding or gunked up. However, no matter how much poking around I did, nothing solved the problem. At first it seemed that the  slot it shared with the Shift key lever was the problem. I oiled the area where the two levers touched, but that did nothing.

I followed the system all the way to the escapement and still didn't find an obvious problem. Then I noticed that the pawl (see A below) that the Backspace lever pulls out of the escapement wasn't popping back every time. Of course this causes another problem. Sometimes when you use the backspace the carriage will fly all the way to the left.

It could be that I'm looking at two different issues. I could spend some more time poking around, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has a few ideas that would solve this problem.

Backspace Key linkages leading to the escapement:

Overview of Escapment (A - Escapement Wheel; B - Wheel Check Pawl):

Detail Escapement (A - Escapement Wheel; B - Wheel Check Pawl):

Last edited by Uwe (25-3-2013 21:55:47)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-3-2013 03:12:46  #2

Re: Backspace Mechanism - '68 Olympia Splendid 66

It looks pretty grungy in there. It's my experience in fixing mechanical stuff (so far, only sewing-machines, but here goes) that most jamming or stiff function is due to a buildup of gunk and grease. 

I'd suggest cleaning the area out with cotton-buds and needle-point tweezers, flushing it through with methylated spirits, and then oiling it lightly. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

26-3-2013 13:55:04  #3

It's definitely on the furry side in there, but I don't recall seeing any oil. However, I'll give your advice a try and see if that alleviates the problem. Thanks.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-3-2013 15:32:17  #4

If it's all gunked up, a possibility is that all the lint and fluff is just jamming the mechanism. Once that's cleared, flushed out, and oiled with sewing-oil, it should work, if my theory is correct. 

I use needle-nose tweezers to clean those places out. A vacuum-cleaner is next to useless. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera