You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-4-2017 13:35:21  #1

WTB: Platen for Royal 10

If you have one, please let me know.

Edwin

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

29-4-2017 17:24:24  #2

Re: WTB: Platen for Royal 10

What's a Royal "20"?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-4-2017 20:02:38  #3

Apologies: I meant a Royal 10. Thanks for catching that. Im in desperate need of one.

30-4-2017 16:32:49  #4

Which platen width are you after, and for which generation model 10? There were different carriage sizes for the Royal 10. I assume it's for a Royal 10 that you own, so do you know its year of manufacture (or serial number)?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-5-2017 11:36:35  #5

Uwe, thanks for helping me nail down the right carriage. I was told it's an 11-inch carriage. If I measure just the platen rubber, it's 10 inches. I will have to look for the serial number. Here's a picture of it: both sides have windows. 

01-5-2017 13:24:21  #6

Uwe, this may sound asinine, but I went ahead and ordered a later model, shown here. Unless I'm mistaken, the previous picture shows a 1914 model. I am hoping the platen on this one can be used on the 1914 model. I bought this one because the quote for a new platen was nearly what the second one cost me.

02-5-2017 07:46:44  #7

I suspect that it will fit, and that the platen on the later model 10 should be 'useable', but the odds are that it will be rock hard. Had your existing platen been repaired (if it can be) and resurfaced, it would have provided the performance of a like-new, which the replacement platen won't. Also, you'll still have a Royal 10 that needs a platen (it seems a real shame to turn what might be a perfectly good typewriter into a parts machine for something like a platen). 

​Anyway, good luck, and I hope you'll provide us with updates on your platen swapping experience.

02-5-2017 13:06:42  #8

If you are interested, I can tell you exactly what is wrong with the platen on your early Royal 10.  There was a lead sleeve between the wooden platen core and the outer layer of rubber on some models.  I suspect that the lead was intended as a noise-deadening medium.  If the machine has been damp-stored, the lead begins to corrode and expand, giving the characteristic bulge that you can see in the middle !  I fully concur with Uwe that a later platen would most likely fit.  In fact, I think the lead-lined one that is fitted may even be a later platen !  I also agree that it would be a shame to break a younger machine, and although parallel, the platenfrom that is probably still as hard as a rock.

03-5-2017 12:53:01  #9

I'm glad you two chimed in on this one. After buying the second Royal, I had second thoughts about my logic and felt uneasy about the whole thing. After all, I've never cannibalized a machine. So I will order the new platen and enjoy the second, newer machine while the platen is done. I'll take this a $100 lesson. I'll post pictures of the incoming 10 and a type sample as soon as it arrives.

Board footera