You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-5-2017 18:19:56  #1

How to remove platen from Olympia SM9?

I have an adhesive-backed label stuck down behind the platen that will require removal of the platen to clear. 

If anyone here is familiar with platen removal on this machine, I'd be grateful for directions.  From comparison with similar typewriters on e-bay, I'm reasonably certain my Olympia is an SM9.  I have photos on IMGUR, but this is my first post on the forum and my understanding is that I cannot yet link photos.

Look forward to participating here..  

28-5-2017 07:35:34  #2

Re: How to remove platen from Olympia SM9?

Yulop, that is indeed an annoying situation. Here are a couple of references for removing the platen of earlier Olympia portables of the SM3 SM4 era. The procedure may well be similar for your later model.

<http://cambridgetypewriter.blogspot.com/2011/08/changing-sm-34-platen.html>
<http://silveretteseiko.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/replacing-silencer-spring-on-olympia-sm4.html>

Hope this works for you!

29-5-2017 15:55:36  #3

If your machine is an SM9, you are in luck.  The platen removes very easily.  Simply unscrew the platen knobs and pull them out.  Draw the carriage to the right and the platen should lift out.

30-5-2017 07:09:03  #4

Thank you for your responses.

thetypewriterman - The left hand knob came right out with no difficulty.  The right hand knob is another story.  Do you know if it has left- or right-hand threads?   What is the best way to hold the platen while unscrewing the knob? 

30-5-2017 07:14:16  #5

What I mean by the second questions is, I'm having trouble getting a good grip on the platen while trying to turn the knob.

30-5-2017 08:26:54  #6

Here is a photo of the machine I've been calling an SM9.  If I'm wrong about this, someone please inform me of the correct model designation.

By the way, is the model marked on the machine?  The only marking I've found is a number on the underside:  4651867.  Does this indicate year of production?  Thanks.

30-5-2017 13:12:12  #7

Your typewriter is indeed an SM9, made circa 1974.  The right hand platen knob (obviously stuck) is a normal right hand thread. To give you some purchase to remove it, put the left knob back in and screw it up.  Operate the line space lever with your left hand and hold it across.  Then try to ondo the right knob.  The pawl being forced into the linespace ratchet should prevent the platen from turning.  Don't overdo this - you do not want to break anything.  A professional would use a special strap wrench which wraps round the platen itself.  You could also try to get a grip on the platen by wrapping a piece of emery cloth around it.  Operate the paper release and try to tease the emery cloth down the back of the platen (keyboard facing you)  Insert the emery cloth at either end, and not near where you think the label is stuck.

30-5-2017 19:04:13  #8

typewriterman, your emery cloth suggestion worked like a charm!  Many thanks for that tutorial.  And also for your information about the typewriter's date. 

That starboard knob was stuck fast.  I had to grip the emery cloth wrap close to the platen with a pair of long-nose pliers and use the tender grip of a channel lock wrench to turn the knob. 

31-5-2017 17:27:10  #9

Helping each other is what this forum is all about - and comparing notes with others.  Now that your problem is solved, don't go away !  Stick around and see if you can maybe help someone else - or learn more !

01-6-2017 14:39:09  #10

What is every cloth?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera