You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-6-2017 07:25:27  #1

Adler Junior 3 Platen Removal

Hello, type-migos,

So, I dug out my old Ader Junior 3 and I wanted to try and soften the rubber on the platen. Does anyone know how to remove the platen on one of these guys? There are some manuals out there for other Adlers, but I couldn't find one for this guy. Any advice either on removing this platen or platens in general or even on softening hardened rubber. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Best,

Tric.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

29-6-2017 05:29:17  #2

Re: Adler Junior 3 Platen Removal

UPDATE: SOLVED

Hey there,

So, I was able to figure it out with some creative (well, creative for me) thinking, a lot of wiggling, and a frustrated-man's disregard for the overall safety of his machine. I'd like to post my solution here, on the off chance that anyone else on the internet has this problem:

First, I had to remove both platen knobs. Both unscrew from the platen when twisted counterclockwise while holding the rest of the platen in place. The lefthand one came off easily, but the righthand knob didn't want to move at first--indeed, this is what caused my initial confusion with the process. To get the righthand knob off, I held it firmly in place and pushed the carriage return arm, which created enough leverage to unscrew the tight knob.

Once this was done, I lifted the paper bail and slid the paper guide all the way to the left allowing the piece that is called (if my research is is correct) the "paper discharge guide" (the flat plate with the words Junior 3 on it) to be swung all the way up. This created a larger opening for removing the platen.

Finally, actually removing the platen was simple enough. I was able to push the right side of the platen upward and slightly out of position, allowing me to get ahold of it. Then with some wiggling and some pulling I was able to shimmy the platen out. Violà!

So, I know that's not quite "technical-manual" quality instruction, but hopefully this is useful to someone in my position. Thanks!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

29-6-2017 06:14:25  #3

Hello,
I'm not the owner of one of these typers, but well done for working it out.
Sometimes it just takes a bit of time, thought and effort (especially with older machines).

Alan.

29-6-2017 12:53:50  #4

Bassoonbloke wrote:

Hello,
I'm not the owner of one of these typers, but well done for working it out.
Sometimes it just takes a bit of time, thought and effort (especially with older machines).

Alan.

Thanks! Usually my order of operations is: find a manual, look online, ask for help, tinker with it myself. I'm not a terribly good tinker--more of a book guy--so I save that for last. But I agree--a lot of the basic issues with typewriters can be figured out by trial and error, especially on machines like this one that aren't particularly collectible. 

Board footera