You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-7-2017 00:31:45  #1

Decisions about the White Olivetti Valentine.

Hello everyone,

I've got an offer to buy the icon typewriter Valentine(the white one) for approximately 200 usd or 144 euros. I know that all the other colors except the red one are rare but I can't decide if it's overpriced or if I just don't want it. Can anyone help me out? Should I buy it or not?

Greetings,

03-7-2017 05:49:00  #2

Re: Decisions about the White Olivetti Valentine.

Hi there,

That's a big question. The first thing I can suggest though is to offer a few more details. Anything you can say about the condition is critical in deciding how much a good price is.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

03-7-2017 06:49:52  #3

It all depends why you want it.

As a general 'collectable' it could be worth it, if in very good condition.  As a design landmark, well, possibly.
As a typewriter for use - not worth very much at all IMO.

The Valentine's reputation depends entirely on its external design, which is somewhat interesting (though not very much so IMO) and not on its objective soundness and efficiency as a typing machine - at which task it turns in a pedestrian performance at best.

I believe that money could certainly buy you a machine far superior in looks, reliability and typing qualities, but individual taste rules all in these matters.

Sincerely,
beak.

03-7-2017 10:26:29  #4

Can, or have you seen it in person? If not, does the seller seem reputable? (Good reviews, photographs of all angles of the machine and case inside and out, etc.) Was it made in Spain or Mexico? (People seem to prefer the machines made in Spain, but I couldn't really tell you why)

Full disclosure - I own a red Valentine S and enjoy using it. Does it type like a Hermes 3000? Heck no, but mine, at least, types as well as a good ultra-portable. ( maybe that's a bad or vague comparison? I don't know, the only Valentine I've ever used is the one I have)

The price seems right if the machine is in order. If you're buying it to resell it you can probably double your money. I see the rare colors being sold for 600-1,000 - which is insane, plus, I don't think anyone is actually buying them at that price.

As for the condition of the body -- Deep scratches and discoloration are the things to look out for. Those are impossible to fix, unless you are a professional mold polisher. But light, surface scratches can be buffed out no problem with a plastic polish compatible with ABS. Mine had tons of little surface scratches when I got it. I used the Novus polish kit and in a few hours it looked good as new. Light scratches are par for the couse when it comes to the Valentine, especially on the top of the machine due to the direct contact it makes with the case. If you're keeping it for your collection you can solve that problem easy by placing a thin piece of felt with a sticky back inside the case.

04-7-2017 00:09:55  #5

Thanks for your answers, I want it for my collection and because it's a rare colored typewriter! I believe the main reason why I can't decide is because I'm collecting older typewriters from 1880 to 1930 and that's why I need your point of view of the situation

Board footera