You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-7-2017 12:48:41  #1

Ever seen this? Typebar stops short

I researched this on the forum, and to the best of my knowledge I can assert that this is not an issue pertaining to faulty margins, or the locking mechanism him that engages at the end of the line.

As you can see the type bars stop just short of hitting the plan, if I press slowly and firmly all the way down, the typebar will strike the platen (however useless)

What do you think?
SEE VIDEO

06-7-2017 12:49:53  #2

Re: Ever seen this? Typebar stops short

06-7-2017 17:14:31  #3

Just theoretical at this point.  Try a ribbon and paper; then see if it actually does or does not type a character.

06-7-2017 21:51:52  #4

Corona-

I appreciate the reply. I did check that before posting. And since, but no, still no contact
Take a look at the video,
You can see how far away the slug is from the platen
Definitely in need of an adjustment or something

06-7-2017 22:10:02  #5

I would double check to make sure the mechanism is not hitting the table with the typewriter out of its shell. Some machines when they are not supported by their feet and/or outside their shell, will have issues if part of the mechanism--like the universal bar--is hitting the surface of the table. I am not sure if your machine is one that would do this, but it would be worth checking really quick by placing some supports underneath on the corners or sides to lift it off the table, and see if it still does it. I don't currently have an Olivetti, so I am not sure if it is model that would do this, but it would only take a second to check.

07-7-2017 06:40:13  #6

I have an Olympia SG1 with the same sort of problem.  It appears to be fully functional apart from this issue.  I have not yet had the time to check exactly how to do it, but I believe, in my case, the entire carriage is simply out of position a fraction to the rear of where it should be.  There has to be an adjustment possible during the initial fettling of the machine at the factory which sets this distance at the ideal and perfect point, and I suggest you investigate how that adjustment is made on your machine.  I would caution that the adjustment is likely to be a very fine and precise one, and must (I should think) be done in a specific sequence of checks and alignments.

The only other thing I can offer is to check the mechanism which locks the type-bars when the right margin is reach, and which the margin release overcomes; perhaps this is locked in he operating position by a bent or missing part?

Good luck, and please let us know what you find.

Sincerely,
beak.

07-7-2017 20:45:24  #7

Soucek-- you got it. I hadnt even considered that, but it looks to be resolved. Much thanks!

Beak-- you might also be right in the sense, because even though the slugs are hitting the platinum, I find that it has a very light imprint compared to my other machines.  And I'm using a brand-new ribbon to test.  But maybe that's just how they are…

On the whole though, this is definitely a problem solved.

Board footera