You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-4-2014 06:02:48  #1

Wanted: 13 inch carriage for Olympia SG1

To buy, or to swap for my 15" carriage, which is great, and not heavy to use, but won't fit into the typewriter desk I have reserved for this machine.

Little hope, I guess, but always worth trying.

Sincerely,
beak.

29-4-2014 08:07:18  #2

Re: Wanted: 13 inch carriage for Olympia SG1

It's worth noting Beak that there were at least two different types of carriages for the SG1, specifically pre- and post-1961 models. I don't know if those differences included any internal differences that would affect how they mate to the main body (I should try swapping my carriages around to find out), but I would specify the year of your machine in your request just to be safe. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-4-2014 08:15:30  #3

Thanks for the tip.
Mine dates 1961 OR 1962 - serial number reference only goes this close.  Shall research further to see if I can tell if it is before or after the chnage. 

Sincerely,
beak.

29-4-2014 08:21:02  #4

The easiest way to tell in your case would be to look at the master tab clear levers on either end of the carriage. If they are chrome handles with plastic knobs that stick out it's a first generation carriage. If the levers are completely plastic and look like the paddles on a pin ball machine you have a second generation carriage. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-4-2014 08:34:32  #5

WOW you're good.  Mine is 1st generation - pre 1961 it is!

Sincerely,
beak.

29-4-2014 09:23:09  #6

Well, this thread has made me curious, so I'm going to try swapping first and second gen carriages on both pre and post machines to see if there are any issues. I hope you find what you're after, but my guess would be that it would be easier just to buy another SG1 with the smaller carriage (and it would probably cost the same too!).

Board footera