You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-7-2017 13:39:43  #1

Typewriters made in Portugal

In connection to my post in new acquisitions, The Sears Chevron was made in Portugal. Does anyone have any background information on these typewriters? Name of the company in Portugal that made them for sears or any other information. Thanks

24-7-2017 15:25:07  #2

Re: Typewriters made in Portugal

I "think" there are quite a few Portuguese Royals out there, but I can't tell for sure. In fact, I'm quite interested in this topic as well, because typewriters from Portugal confuse me big time.

I got a Rover 5000 comfort-matic in Evora, but that's an Italian IMC- Engandine with AZERTY keyboard, so no Portuguese machine. And I made a mistake by letting go a beautiful Royal Safari in Lisbon at the famous Mercado das Ladras. I think that was a local typewriter...

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

24-7-2017 17:16:21  #3

I would think that Messa (Lisbon) is the most well-known Portuguese typewriter manufacturer. If I remember my history correctly, the Messa factory was actually the result of a German typewriter manufacturer (Siemag) relocating its facilities to Portugal. I don't know if it was sold to a Portuguese firm, or if control was retained by the German company, because I honestly haven't had much interest in that particular vein of typewriter history.

​In either case, Messa became a private label manufacturer and produced typewriters for Litton (Royal and Imperial). I have read that its products were also sold under the Sterling brand name in Great Britain, and that Messa - among others - also produced a Patria model under licence.

​I'm fairly certain that the Sears Chevron is some form of a private label, re-badged model. In other words it was a Royal (a Safari, maybe?) that was re-branded as a Sears typewriter, and yes, that means it was also most likely manufactured by Messa. And - I could be wrong here - the Royal itself was originally a German-designed machine, I seem to recall having read it was an ABC model. I despise the original ABC designs, but I would hope that if all of this is true, the version that was produced for Royal and Sears by Messa was a more reliable typewriter.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-7-2017 17:23:10  #4

Javi wrote:

I got a Rover 5000 comfort-matic in Evora, but that's an Italian IMC- Engandine with AZERTY keyboard, so no Portuguese machine.

​I've never handled a Rover, but it was an Italian machine. The only IMC model that I own is this Sherwood and I consider it to be an 'okay' budget typewriter. I will have to try a Rover model if I ever come across one locally.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-7-2017 12:56:46  #5

Uwe wrote:

​I've never handled a Rover, but it was an Italian machine. The only IMC model that I own is this Sherwood and I consider it to be an 'okay' budget typewriter. I will have to try a Rover model if I ever come across one locally.

Well, mine is nothing special. It´s that IMC model which has been rebranded like a million times all around the world, including the Olympia Olympiette deluxe. Here´s my little Portuguese (from Portugal) machine:

Your piece of history is really interesting. Siemag typewriters are far from easy to find (at least here), and Messas... Impossible. It´s funny how French and German typewriters flood Spain, but Portuguese typewriters are Impossible In Capitals to find. In general, many people in Spain have the stupid idea that Portugal is our "little and outdated neighbour", so there´s no rush to bring anything from there, and as far as typewriters go, it´s even worse.

This is an enormous mistake, because each time I go I fall in love with Portugal. It´s such a wonderful country!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

23-8-2017 18:43:41  #6

Uwe wrote:

I would think that Messa (Lisbon) is the most well-known Portuguese typewriter manufacturer. If I remember my history correctly, the Messa factory was actually the result of a German typewriter manufacturer (Siemag) relocating its facilities to Portugal. I don't know if it was sold to a Portuguese firm, or if control was retained by the German company, because I honestly haven't had much interest in that particular vein of typewriter history.

​In either case, Messa became a private label manufacturer and produced typewriters for Litton (Royal and Imperial). I have read that its products were also sold under the Sterling brand name in Great Britain, and that Messa - among others - also produced a Patria model under licence.

​I'm fairly certain that the Sears Chevron is some form of a private label, re-badged model. In other words it was a Royal (a Safari, maybe?) that was re-branded as a Sears typewriter, and yes, that means it was also most likely manufactured by Messa. And - I could be wrong here - the Royal itself was originally a German-designed machine, I seem to recall having read it was an ABC model. I despise the original ABC designs, but I would hope that if all of this is true, the version that was produced for Royal and Sears by Messa was a more reliable typewriter.

Thank you for this information. It took me awhile until I got back to it.

Board footera