You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-7-2017 14:40:35  #1

Hermes Baby versus Hermes Rocket... which do you like better?

Okay, so of the two Hermes ultraportables, which one do you prefer?

26-7-2017 14:53:36  #2

Re: Hermes Baby versus Hermes Rocket... which do you like better?

Is this a trick question? It's the same typewriter!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-7-2017 15:25:40  #3

kind of a trick question, kind of not.  I know there's aesthetic differences between years. I wasn't sure if the quality or features changed over time.

I was thinking along the lines of the Smith Corona Silents... same typerwriter, but different machines over time.

26-7-2017 16:15:01  #4

The Baby and Rocket were produced concurrently, and were identical in features. It's my understanding that the two names only co-existed for marketing reasons. I own both machines and have never been able to find a difference between them. Of course they'll look different if you're compare a second generation Baby with a third generation Rocket, but that would be the same as comparing two different generations of a Baby (or Rocket). 

​It would be perfectly understandable to ask if someone prefers to see the Rocket or Baby name on their typewriter given its on the same machine. In that scenario I'd have to admit that I prefer the Rocket name; it just sounds far cooler!

Last edited by Uwe (26-7-2017 16:16:57)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-7-2017 17:20:49  #5

so which generation is your favorite?  TBH, I actually thought the baby was the older model and the Rocket the newer one.

26-7-2017 20:33:38  #6

Having owned an older and newer generation, I DEFINITELY prefer the newer. It has a plastic body (generally prefer metal) but the longer return lever and single piece ribbon cover are in the plus column for me. My newer model also has better typing action, springy-er if you know what I mean.
Overall, it's lighter a i believe as well (plastic vs metal)

But yeah. What he said. They're really the same thing.

27-7-2017 06:25:01  #7

It´s also interesting how Babies improved with time. The first generation is just so-so action-wise, but those machines are definitely worth seeing, trying and keeping. Maybe you´re not going to win a speed contest with them and they´re somewhat unreliable, but they´re charming. And... Are there 1st generation Rockets?

And then, successive generations improved just everything.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

27-7-2017 11:05:32  #8

Javi wrote:

Are there 1st generation Rockets?

​Not that I'm aware of. I think first generation models were either a 'Baby' or a 'Featherweight', and that 'Rocket' replaced 'Featherweight' when the second generation was introduced.

​Although I really like the first generation model, I think that I prefer the second because of its distinctive design and they type well when in good condition. The third generation (3a - metal) is still great, but its design takes a step toward the generic, and the 3b (plastic) doesn't interest me at all. They are however - it seems - highly desirable in my area because of the colours it came in and people (teenage girls?) are more than willing to pay more for them than any other Baby/Rocket.

Still prefer the second generation over all the others:

​Third generation wins over those who like colourful typewriters:

05-5-2018 05:17:10  #9

My favorite typewriters are the sg1, torpedo mod 17, Alpina's, and the 1st and 2nd gen Rockets/Baby's.

I always tend to reach towards the Rockets/Babies over all the others, so perhaps they are my favorite. They keep up with my typing speed, the feel of the keys, the carriage vibration, everything about that machine makes me sing. And I own 6 Sg1's! But my love affair with those early Hermes Portables won't wain. The irony is, I loathe the Hermes 3000 and thinks its the most overrated machine out there. Along with the Let 32.

Art is horsesh*t, buy tacos instead---Bukowski 

05-5-2018 15:23:06  #10

Just to throw something else into the pot, in the UK there is also the Empire Aristocrat - which is in fact a Hermes Baby/Rocket (first and second generation) made under licence and identical in all respects to the Swiss-made machine.  I have to agree about the Hermes 3000.  Perfectly nice typewriter but the Olympia SM9 will do everything that the 3000 will do at a fraction of the price (even when brand new).

Board footera