You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-4-2014 02:03:25  #1

Typewriter desks

I have just acquired an Olympia SG1, and lugging it about is no fun, so tomorrow I'm off tolook at a dedicated typewriter desk to store it in - you know, the type of desk that has a fold-away section where the TW may be kept out of sight and harms way, leaving you a clear desk until you wish to type again.

Thing is, I've no experience of these desks, so any pointers or comments would be welcome.

Sincerely,
beak.

18-4-2014 10:44:52  #2

Re: Typewriter desks

Beak, That's a good idea. I have such a desk and it's very helpful and a great conversation piece. All I have seen are wood though I think some were metal.

In general, they are very sturdy (but check every one you're considering). There are at least two types: the one I have is a folder and it stores the typewriter in the middle of the desk on a slanted surface so it must be bolted in place; the other has an articulated shelf off to one side which remains level throughout its travel. The side-shelf designs leave the top surface of the desk open for use while typing; the folding designs do not--the typewriter replaces the desktop. On the one I have the typewriter sits eight inches below the desktop height, which is a much better position than with a regular desk.

My SG1 does not have dedicated mounting holes for bolting down but since the feet are bolted on you could substitue a longer bolt there and drill properly spaced holes in the slanting shelf. Many other typewriters, like the Royal Model 10 that is in my desk, have factory holes for that purpose, though I had trouble finding the matching thread (turned out that metric 6 x 1 worked). You might be happier with the side shelf design (does not have to be bolted down) if you can be confident that the linkages are strong enough for the heavy Olympia.

There are more of these out there than one might think. They really look like an ordinary desk and many people may not know what they have and so not advertise it is such. I paid $80 including a very nice Royal 10. I hope you can do as well.

== Michael Höhne

19-4-2014 03:05:02  #3

I've only seen such desks in photographs. I would LOVE to own one. 

Maybe I will. One day. I can imagine that they're extremely handy. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

19-4-2014 03:11:46  #4

Saw it.  Bought it.  Reasonable price for the desk alone, but bargain with the TW mechanism, I think.
Nice old piece in solid silky oak, that will just fit.  Lucky.

Mechanism sound (it's the centre fold-away type) and looking forward to restoring the timber, which should be a breeze since it has the original finishes (no coats of poly - ughhh: hate that stuff).

Shall post more pix when it's here, restored and rigged with typewriter.

Sincerely,
beak.

10-5-2014 05:00:38  #5

Well it's here, and what a struggle to get a very heavy 800mm wide desk through a 700mm wide door - but worth it! Not restored yet, but thought you might like a look.

Last edited by beak (10-5-2014 07:54:45)

Sincerely,
beak.

10-5-2014 05:41:03  #6

That is a nice desk. Wish I had (and the room for) one like it.

10-5-2014 06:46:41  #7

Thanks.
I have learned quite a bit about these things recently; be careful what you choose.

This form (with the central, swing-down well) is somewhat touchy about what typewriter it will accept.
For instance, my 15" carriage Olympia is too wide to allow the lid to close, and all of my portables are too low to allow the carriage to travel left and right fully (as you can see in the photo) unless they are placed on a built-up platform so that the carriage is higher than the well.  So I'm currently looking for a 13" or 12" Olympia  SG1, or if not, shall make a little timber platform to adapt the height of an Olympia SM4.

All designs of TW desks have pros & cons; this one does not leave the desktop clear, and those which have a dedicated side storage and level-rising platform (as mentioned by M. Höhne - you can see one in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusY6oSDu58 ) have no drawers at all on that side of the desk.

Drawers both sides was important for me, as were the sliding extensions both sides, so this suits me well, but the other kind are good too; perhaps I shall find one of those cheap too one day!

Last edited by beak (10-5-2014 06:51:37)

Sincerely,
beak.

10-5-2014 06:49:08  #8

Beak. I am so insanely jealous in such ways that you cannot possibly imagine. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

10-5-2014 06:57:21  #9

Don't be - you will get one, perhaps, when the time is right. 

This was a reward to myself for working, currently, on a film with a dreadfully banal script and with some decidedly third rate attitudes and working standards on display - and not by any of the Australians involved, I hasten to add.  I wanted this piece in order to help me feel as though I was actually acheiving something constructive each week; restoring a nice old bit of furniture and perhaps doing some worthwhile writing too.

Last edited by beak (10-5-2014 07:00:53)

Sincerely,
beak.

10-5-2014 10:54:48  #10

Very nice Beak! And congratulations.

These oak desks appear in local ads in my area almost daily, many are free because the person just wants rid of it, and although I love them very much I don't have a place in my home that would suit one - never mind the physical challenge of getting it down a winding flight of stairs!

Could you explain a little more why a portable is too small to work? I don't understand that limitation of its mechanism.

As an aside, I recenlty saw an SG1 carriage for sale - shocked actually, because I never thought that I would ever see one for sale on its own - but I didn't bring it to your attention because the price was completely obscene ($170); you could buy three SG1s for that price. Just for your reference, the carriage was available in seven sizes (10", 12", 13", 15", 18", 24", and 35").

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera