You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-5-2014 00:47:50  #11

Re: Typewriter desks

Uwe wrote:

Could you explain a little more why a portable is too small to work? I don't understand that limitation of its mechanism.

Sorry, I must have been unclear.  The point is that the carriage on most portables will be too LOW (not too small) to clear the sides of the well in which the TW sits, as the carriage travels left or right.  Or at the least be cramped for space left to right.

In fact, a small portable such as the SM4 can be positioned fairly well, but tolerances are tight.

A Standard (tall) machine will have a carriage much higher off the platform on which the machine sits, and so this carriage will not foul the desk as it moves left or right.

Last edited by beak (20-6-2014 10:18:41)

Sincerely,
beak.

11-5-2014 06:45:46  #12

The desk which Beak has is really designed for DESKTOP typewriters. Not portables. The well was designed to take the weight and heft, and be measured to fit something like an Underwood 5 or a Royal 10. Unless it was a shallow drop, or a particularly WIDE surface, then a portable might struggle. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

11-5-2014 22:32:12  #13

Ah, I get it now Beak, thanks. For some reason I thought you were talking about the opening and closing of the typewriter drawer, but of course it all makes sense now looking at your photo again.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-6-2014 08:18:23  #14

Well, the SG1 is finally installed in my typewriter desk!  Having finished the film I was working on, I now have time for this far more important stuff:-

But the work isn't over yet; this machine is so big, even with the new shorter carriage, that it will only just clear the mechanism, and I've had to spend the day making jigs and saftey features to ensure that it never fouls when the desk is opened or closed, and there is a fair bit of tidying up and catch-making to do.   And I want to install some sound-deadening material too.  That's why the whole desk area looks such a mess at present!

If I were to do this again, I'd get one of the other sort of desks; the type where you just open the false drawers on the left, put your TW on the platform (no bolts or any other nonsense) and away you go.  But as we've discovered, this sort of desk is intended to take a smaller machine, such as the models Shangas mentioned.

But it has all been worth it!  Now, when I want to type, I just open the centre of the desk and this monster typewriter rises to meet me like Excalibur from the lake, and it disappears just as easily when I no longer need it.

When all is finished, shall try to make a very short video of the thing in operation.

Last edited by beak (18-6-2014 08:21:14)

Sincerely,
beak.

03-5-2018 23:25:18  #15

Hi everyone - this may seem an odd question, but has anyone come across any woodworking plans to build a typewriter desk? I've searched online and found nothing so far.

05-5-2018 17:41:21  #16

bryanhugill wrote:

Hi everyone - this may seem an odd question, but has anyone come across any woodworking plans to build a typewriter desk? I've searched online and found nothing so far.

Well, you can try sending a dollar to the address in the ad near the bottom of the right column here...

https://books.google.com/books?id=seADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA286&lpg=PA286&dq=typewriter+desk+plans&source=bl&ots=8DcvW8-7D_&sig=aiKIOJlmmW2east1TPYutAEWfl0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU26PUzu_aAhVkUd8KHf8eAv4Q6AEIYTAK#v=onepage&q=typewriter%20desk%20plans&f=false

But I don't think you are likely to get a response.

05-5-2018 21:12:24  #17

UnderwoodStd wrote:

But I don't think you are likely to get a response.

Well, I'm still waiting for a response to my request for the X-ray specs and hypnotism ring, so I don't think this one's going to work out either. Thanks anyway

12-6-2018 16:36:05  #18

Nice. I've been looking at one on craigslist. I don't even know where to begin for what a deal would be.

13-6-2018 14:49:20  #19

gnuyork wrote:

Nice. I've been looking at one on craigslist. I don't even know where to begin for what a deal would be.

​In my area they range from FREE to $300CAD, so if I was in the market to buy one my goal would be to find one for under $100CAD.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera