You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-9-2017 23:45:21  #1

Skyriter question

Just got a 3Y (I believe) skyriter and when I'm typing, the slugs actaully hit the paper bail and the top of the stroke. I've read about others with skyriters that do the same thing. Surely this isn't how they were designed?
The paper bail has scratches/indentations all across it where the keys have impacted.

Just curious if anyone else has come across this.

06-9-2017 17:04:28  #2

Re: Skyriter question

Also I can upload pictures if necessary guys just let me know I'm happy to do it

06-9-2017 19:57:57  #3

Hi Schillerwade

​There are a few factors I can see that would cause the type bars to strike the paper bale on a 2Y- (metal case) Skyriter.

1, A bent paper bale, lift the paper bale to the up position and sight along it, adjust if bent.

2, Lower case shift stop set too low, this would cause the platen to sit lower than originally designed thus not leaving sufficient clearance between type bars and paper bale.

​3, Only having one sheet of paper loaded on the platen, two sheets of paper will help hold the paper bale up out of striking range of the type bars.

​4, Hammering the keys too hard, this will tend to drive the type bars into the platen rubber so they may contact the paper bale.

​5. A combination of two or more of the previously mentioned scenarios.

​Hope this helps point you in the right direction. Happy typing,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

06-9-2017 20:30:16  #4

OK thanks for the suggestions
I'm going to have another look and see if one of those isn't what's causing the issue

09-9-2017 00:47:33  #5

Checked it out
None of those things helped

You know the bail is about 1/4" tall, up from the platen.  It's almost as though there's no way for the keys not to hit the paper bail… At any rate this was an eBay purchase and it's got a bunch of problems that were not specified so in all likelihood it's getting returned tomorrow!
I'll come across another skywriter eventually

Board footera