You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-8-2017 14:49:34  #71

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

Should I buy a fully disassembled Oliver 9? (To go with my partially disassembled Oliver 3?)
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/d/oliver-9-typewriter/6286387315.html

30-8-2017 16:58:18  #72

He says he has instructions.... I'd say go for it! And I'll be rooting you on. (But why is it fully disassembled?)

31-8-2017 15:33:55  #73

I'm thinking about purchasing a Smith Premier 10 if the guy can find another ribbon spool for it.  One of them is missing.  What do you think?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

31-8-2017 20:08:33  #74

BUY IT!
They are super cool.
Ribbon spools can be found if you ask around.

My blog - Just Typewriters

04-9-2017 21:19:52  #75

There seems to be an outbreak of Hammond Multiplexes in the Midwest. 
There's this one in Cleveland with no lid, this one without the base in NE Ohio, and this one in Detroit, which is where I found mine. Given what I do, I'm intrigued at the possibility of cyrillic shuttle and keyboard, but not for the $375 they're asking! 

12-9-2017 10:22:37  #76

I've spied this machine in the basement of a antique store that I frequent. It is an early Remington Standard 10 from 1909. It definitely needs work, but it is mostly complete. But the $65 price tag scares me a bit. This is one of those stores that has booths with each having a different owner so they only knock about 10% off of the price.
What is it actually worth though, being as early as it is? I have had two of these, both working, one a little better than the other, but as old as they are, they can still work surprisingly well!

13-9-2017 05:11:21  #77

The Remington 10 is quite pleasant to use if it´s complete. I love the feeling of the typeslugs "flying" towards the platen. The typebars are noticeably longer than those of the Underwood 3 / 5, and since they´re all but covered you can see them tracing these loooong arcs as you type.

Even if it needs some work (i.e. cleaning, nothing too serious) it´s always nice to have one of these. I sepak from my experience with my Remington 10, and since it´s not that uncommon the price is attractive. Well, at least it´s VERY attractive for me since most of these in Spain hover around the 100€ mark no matter the condition. You can easily find a thrashed one at 150€ and a pristine one at 100€, but rarely a working one for less than that.

I mean, if I didn´t already have one I´d get it. I really like fair priced and competent typewriters

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

14-9-2017 20:29:44  #78

Somebody talk to me about Woodstocks. 
There's an early Woodstock No. 5 in my area for cheap (asking $30), but I'm not sure it is worth it. I know they aren't exactly darlings for collectors, nor are they particularly sexy in any way... (and the more I write, the less interested I am in it). Is anyone willing to defend the noble Woodstock?

14-9-2017 21:17:47  #79

They are pretty bulletproof and they are speedy typers.

My blog - Just Typewriters

15-9-2017 09:01:03  #80

I had the same impression from briefly handling one a while ago. I was particularly impressed with the shift mechanism -- very light and smooth. Nice typing action as well. I've been keeping an eye out for one myself. (And they have that cool "Mercury head" logo.)

Board footera