You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-5-2014 16:10:35  #1

What is this typewriter?

Here is a gallery of photos of my typewriter that I mentioned over in the new users thread: https://www.flickr.com/photos/77450283@N06/sets/72157644649829836/
If anybody knows anything about this, or wants any more specific photos, please let me know!

Thank you!

Paul
@paulmoody24

16-5-2014 16:20:47  #2

Re: What is this typewriter?

I've moved your thread (topic) to the Standard sub-forum, because what you have is part of an Imperial Model 60. The Imperial standards were component machines, which means they could be quickly disassembled. Take a look at the ad I've included that shows it being taken apart; it should be obvious from the photos which section of the machine you have. The Model 60 was first manufactured in 1949; if you get the serial number off the machine we can give you an exact year of manufacturer for it.

Now here's the million dollar question: Where's the rest of the typewriter?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-5-2014 16:28:27  #3

This is all I was given.  As for a serial number, I have added the photo of the serial number to the gallery.  And does the key section that I have have any particular name?

Thank you!

Last edited by paulmoody24 (16-5-2014 16:32:04)

Paul
@paulmoody24

16-5-2014 16:35:33  #4

It's a 1954 model. 

I think the section you have is referred to as the keyboard component, but I'm not sure.

It's a shame that the other components are missing. It looks like someone was restoring - or at least deep cleaning - the typewriter. The good news for you is that you're located in the UK and there should be plenty of Model 60 machines available in your area. They're a fantastc typewriter (I have a Model 55) and it would be worth spending some time completing the one you have. Thetypewriterman, who is another member here, is in the UK too and might be able to help you out (he's a typewriter technician) if you're serious about turning your 60 into a working machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-5-2014 16:38:05  #5

Thank you so much.  When I received it I had the idea to type out my wedding invitations using it, so I think I will most definitly move towards restoring it!

Thank you, really, so much!

Paul
@paulmoody24

16-5-2014 16:41:06  #6

It was made in 1954.  That particular part was called the 'unit' or 'type unit'.  It could be slid out of the front of the machine after releasing the catches, rather like a drawer.  It would come most of the way out, but remain in the machine for cleaning - or - it could be lifted right out of the machine altogether.  The idea behind this (apart from ease of servicing) was that another 'unit' could be put into the typewriter with (say) a scientific keyboard.  This wasn't an engineer's job - the typist was expected to do it.  Once you have the knack, you can exchange one in seconds !

16-5-2014 16:55:54  #7

Thanks @thetypewriterman. I've sent you a message, did you receive it?

Paul
@paulmoody24

08-6-2014 08:00:59  #8

Seems like the Demountables of the 1920's made in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin. Didn't know anyone else had made machines like this. Most interesting and how practical.

08-6-2014 14:34:26  #9

The Imperial family (from model 50 to model 80) are quite common in England, as you might expect since they were made here.  When I first saw a picture of the Demountable (which pre-dates the Imperial) it also struck me how similar they were.  It could be that the Imperial 50's designer saw the Demountable and decided to copy the principle at least.  The British made Bar-Lock had interchangeable carriages and platens too, but not the interchangeable type-unit.

Board footera