You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-11-2017 20:45:48  #1541

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Markmotown wrote:

Yeah, I'm currently stewing over a machine that I missed, too. 
There was a Craiglist ad about a two hour drive from my house for an "old typewriter" that wasn't working, so it was being sold for "decor purposes only." They were asking $18. 
It was a Densmore. 
I scrambled to reply that I'd be happy to take it off their hands, and felt pretty good about it, since it had only been posted online for less than an hour. But I never got a reply, and then the ad was taken down. 
Grrrrrr.... 

Resident Densmore expert here.
That would burn. Those are very rare machines. 

My blog - Just Typewriters

23-11-2017 23:56:04  #1542

I.den wrote:

This arrived today, bought for only 25 EUR (about 30 USD) including shipping from Germany to my country.
Will try to get around to fixing it this weekend. Looks like everything's just fine, except some squashed rubber and some dirt.

I got around to fixing this one last weekend, and made a video of it, for you guys to check out:

24-11-2017 14:57:24  #1543

Update on the $18 Densmore.
Its mine. I made a deal with the person who bought it to get it.

My blog - Just Typewriters

26-11-2017 12:55:56  #1544

Today's acquisition: 1941 Remington Portable 5 DeLuxe - bit of a schlep involved but worth it, it's in lovely condition. My first Remington, too.
[img]Remington 5 DeLuxe by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

26-11-2017 15:30:35  #1545

I have had my eye on this Remington Rand Streamliner for about a year. We saw it in an antiques store in Milwaukee ages ago, but it was out of budget. Every time we went back, I double-checked that it was there, and Friday I finally caved in and "found" the money. It is glorious. It's in incredibly good condition, the case is almost perfect (bar a little damage to the handle), and it's very clean. Just needs a little dusting. Looked up the serial number and seems it was built in May 1941. This is going to become my day-to-day writing machine, as it is just a delight to use! Can't wait for the new ribbon to arrive. 

27-11-2017 13:19:53  #1546

Two lovely Remingtons here. I think you'll find they're great typers too.

28-11-2017 09:16:18  #1547

Thanks, FW - mine certainly is, I'm rather pleased with it.

Well, it had to happen sometime I suppose - today, a standard joins the collection:

1977 (I think) Olympia SG3L. Needs a clean & has a dead / disconnected double space key. At least the elusive paper support is present!

[img]SG3L by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

28-11-2017 14:52:46  #1548

OK, now we know you're serious!  I think you will be really impressed with that machine. Font size? Looks like it might be elite. Typeface?

28-11-2017 15:34:37  #1549

Fleetwing wrote:

OK, now we know you're serious!  I think you will be really impressed with that machine. Font size? Looks like it might be elite. Typeface?

Ha! Yes, I do believe I will be - particularly when I assess & (hopefully) fix the double space issue!

Looks like Modern Congress Elite (No. 98) to me.

29-11-2017 13:48:12  #1550

MancFrank wrote:

Looks like Modern Congress Elite (No. 98) to me.

​The type slug face is marked with the installed typeface number.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera