You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-1-2018 09:00:46  #11

Re: Narrow platen Underwood, what for?

Lucas Dul wrote:

Looked to me like an index machine...never seen the likes before. Very fascinating...reminded me of those straight margain machines. Anyone have one, or know how it works? They’re the kind that make the text line up on the left and the right.

I don't understand why you would see this as an index typewriter; it's nothing like one. From the rest of your comment, I infer that you are thinking of a justifying typewriter, but I still don'r see how you get that from the fact that it has a narrow platen. How do you figure? What am I missing?

15-1-2018 15:15:15  #12

Here the back. No markings, sticker or anything, the silver round thing is a carriage release, the other keys on the sides I don't know, the carriage is stuck and everything had a shower of wd40 so is preeety gunky.

15-1-2018 19:13:43  #13

Did you try to negotiate a more reasonable price? And could you clarify what you mean by the oversized metal key being a "carriage release"? I thought it would have been used to advance from one form to the next.

​What the back of the machine reveals was expected. All of those empty bolt holes indicate that an interesting part of this machine is missing, most probably the brackets that made up a fanfold system (see below). I don't suppose the rest of the machine is lying around somewhere else in the store?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-1-2018 19:43:02  #14

Interesting. Sorry, I am illiterate on typewriter language I mix things. Carriage release I mean that when you press that button the carriage moves towards the left freely, maybe is a tab. I found a metal drawer cabinet, like a box, and says Adressograph maybe has something to do with it. And the price was lowered as you said but still out of my price range.

16-1-2018 08:42:15  #15

M. Höhne wrote:

Lucas Dul wrote:

Looked to me like an index machine...never seen the likes before. Very fascinating...reminded me of those straight margain machines. Anyone have one, or know how it works? They’re the kind that make the text line up on the left and the right.

I don't understand why you would see this as an index typewriter; it's nothing like one. From the rest of your comment, I infer that you are thinking of a justifying typewriter, but I still don'r see how you get that from the fact that it has a narrow platen. How do you figure? What am I missing?

Sorry about that, meant t as a machine made specifically for typing on index cards, not from an index of letters.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera