You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-1-2018 16:20:19  #1

Information Required for Smith-Corona Electronic Models

Does anyone own, or is otherwise very familiar with either of these two models?

Smith-Corona XD 4700 Spell Right Dictionary Memory Typewriter
Smith-Corona SD 650 Spell Right Dictionary Memory Typewriter

Also, does anyone own this particular daisy wheel that would have fit in the two aforementioned models (and probably a number of other Smith-Corona models)?

Script 10/12
No. 59543

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-1-2018 14:57:49  #2

Re: Information Required for Smith-Corona Electronic Models

Thanks for your help via PM, skywatcher. I did some more digging and it turns out your memory is very good; some of these electronic models - I don't know which ones other than the sample below - were made in Indonesia.

​On a broader scope, we know that Smith-Corona electronic models were produced at one time in these countries: USA; Mexico, and Indonesia. It would be good to know the years associated with these locations.

​SCM's first word-processing electronic model was launched in 1985, and apparently the factory was relocated to Mexico in 1995, and then to Ohio, USA, in 2000. The company stopped producing electronic typewriters in 2005, so I wonder if the Indonesian-made models were from that time period? It's also possible that machines were made in multiple locations at the same time.

​An Indonesian-made Sterling:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-1-2018 16:16:46  #3

I had a Smith-Corona SL500 that was made in Singapore.

17-1-2018 17:05:40  #4

Any idea what year it was made?

[Updated]
​Known production locations for Smith-Corona electronic models:
USA
Mexico
Indonesia
Singapore

17-1-2018 19:10:22  #5

Uwe wrote:

"I had a Smith-Corona SL500 that was made in Singapore."

... snip ...

Only that the manual was copyrighted 1989. The serial number was =12px2136662.

I also had at least two typebar/coronamatic models from the 1970s whose stickers said Singapore.p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana}

17-1-2018 22:23:54  #6

M. Höhne wrote:

Uwe wrote:

"I had a Smith-Corona SL500 that was made in Singapore."

... snip ...

Only that the manual was copyrighted 1989. The serial number was =12px2136662.

I also had at least two typebar/coronamatic models from the 1970s whose stickers said Singapore.p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana}

Sorry, that serial number should be  2136662. Apparently this forum is pretty literal when using copy 'n' paste.

25-1-2018 15:47:25  #7

Skywatcher, is the typeface on the Script 10/12 (No. 59543)daisy wheel only uppercase, or does it contain lowercase characters too?

25-1-2018 21:26:12  #8

Hi Uwe

​The Script 10/12 has the full alphabet in both upper and lower case, figures 1 to 0, punctuation and all the regular symbols @ # $ % & * ( - " ; ' , : ) ! ? " + -. Hope this helps,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

26-1-2018 12:41:41  #9

Yes, many thanks. 

03-12-2022 01:16:52  #10

Uwe wrote:

Does anyone own, or is otherwise very familiar with either of these two models?

Smith-Corona XD 4700 Spell Right Dictionary Memory Typewriter
Smith-Corona SD 650 Spell Right Dictionary Memory Typewriter

Also, does anyone own this particular daisy wheel that would have fit in the two aforementioned models (and probably a number of other Smith-Corona models)?

Script 10/12
No. 59543

Hi Uwe,

I don't know if you got all the info you needed, but I have two of these print wheels.  They fit a 1998 Smith-Corona SpellMate 700 made in Mexico.  I also have a dozen or so other SC typefaces if you need  details.

Board footera