You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-2-2018 21:47:14  #1

U.S. Army typewriter information needed.

Does anyone know what typewriters were used by the U.S. Army in the late 70's and early 80's. I was in from 78-81 and used one every day. I remember that they were Standards, had a ribbon cover that lifted, and were manual. We couldn't have electrics because we took them to the field with us. They were either black or olive drab and they were metal. I have looked everywhere I can think of and can't find a picture. Plenty of WWII and a few Korea pictures but none from the era when I was inn. Back then it was just a tool to do my job. I kept it clean and it worked. Any help is appreciated.

Steve

Time is something you can never get back, use it wisely.

22-2-2018 00:39:27  #2

Re: U.S. Army typewriter information needed.

Hmm, I'd be interested in knowing about the progression of typewriters in the military, as well. And while I can't answer your question, I wanted to point out that I just finished my contract with the Army last year, and our Admin section still had a couple electric typewriters for a few of the forms.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

22-2-2018 07:46:57  #3

The secretaries on base had the IBM Selectrics but we had standard manuals and took them to the field in the big crates you sometimes see on ebay. We used the portable field desks when out in the field. I wish I had taken pictures or at least had one of me at my desk. I distinctly remember cleaning the typeface slugs with the putty every day.

22-2-2018 10:10:17  #4

I've got to believe they would have been US machines, yes? Except I'm not sure who if anyone of Remington, Royal, Smith Corona and Underwood would still have been making manual standards in the late 70s. Maybe these were older machines.

You said yours had a ribbon cover that lifted -- meaning that it swung up (rather than came off)? That sounds like a Royal to me.

22-2-2018 21:59:59  #5

Fleetwing wrote:

I've got to believe they would have been US machines, yes? Except I'm not sure who if anyone of Remington, Royal, Smith Corona and Underwood would still have been making manual standards in the late 70s. Maybe these were older machines.

You said yours had a ribbon cover that lifted -- meaning that it swing up (rather than came off)? That sounds like a Royal to me.

If I remember right, it did swing up. It could have lifted off but I don't remember it that way. As far as them being old, we typed forms every day. Some letters, but not that many. The machines in my mind were not over used for what they were. They could have been machines from the 50's. I never needed a machine fixed but I'm sure the Army either had people for that or contracted civilians to keep them in top form. I can't say for sure but I would say that the average clerk typed less than 1,000 words a day. I probably typed less than 2,000 a day in my last assignment because I was in a line unit and did all of the paperwork except the supply room paperwork. The fact that I distinctly remember them being all metal would make them older machines, right? I would love for someone to be able to actually show me what we used. Even if I remember it all wrong. Funny, I can remember my Jeep like it was sitting on my driveway right now and I only drove it when we went to the field. I used a typewriter every work day for 3 years and can't picture them in my mind.

27-3-2018 13:15:03  #6

You might want to consider contacting the Army purchasing department who may be able to point you in the right direction.  As per previous comments, the machine you were using could well have been made in the 50's or 60's, particularly when you consider many were purchased during the Korean War and Vietnam. 
Here is a link for the Army Purchasing Office:
http://www.farsmarterbids.com/departments/resources.php?department=ARMY&topic=PurchOff

New member inquiries: 
Please email us at: 
contactus@farsmarterbids.com
The contracts are also preserved at the National Archives but that would take some rootin' around.
https://aad.archives.gov/aad/free-text-search-results.jsp?s=492&cat=all&bc=sd&q=typewriter&btnSearch=Search&as_alq=&as_anq=&as_epq=&as_woq=

Records of Prime Contracts Awarded by the Military Services and Agencies, created, 7/1/1965 - 6/30/1975, documenting the period 7/1/1965 - 6/30/1975 - Record Group 330 (info)
Good Luck 

27-3-2018 17:41:46  #7

That's not a bad idea. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Board footera