You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-3-2018 09:58:15  #1

Olivetti Lettera 22

Replaced a draw band that had broken in a Lettera 22.  Used 50 lb. fishing line, exactly 15.5 inches long.  The spring was wound four times.  Used a bamboo skewer to fish the line through after connecting it to one end of the carriage.  Make sure the line goes through underneath correctly or else the line will not stay on the spring.  Another hand is needed to do this.  My wife helped me hold the taut spring until I got the knot on the end of the line in the slot.

Also, the carriage lock was stuck when I received the typewriter.  I took the lock off by unscrewing two small screws and freed the carriage.  When you replace the carriage lock, the two little screws need to be left untightened until you set the tongue of the lock in the slot of the carriage rail.  When that is done, tighten the screws.

28-5-2018 13:22:48  #2

Re: Olivetti Lettera 22

BTW, a couple of hardware items you owners might want to know about.  I got these at Lowes:

Rubber grommets for the screws that hold outer case (4 total):  Hillman 7/16 O.D. x 3/16 I.D. Rubber Grommet, P/N#881252

Rubber feet on bottom panel: Danco 3/8 M Beveled Washer, 21/32" O.D.  No.88584  You have to modify these because they need a shoulder inside the hole about half-way inside it.   Might try sticking a heated rod or something larger than the hole diameter to create it.

31-8-2019 00:30:21  #3

Yes hello I am new to this haven't had a typewriter since I was a teen!  I ordered one of this model, and it has two problems - the carriage does not catch, but shoots all the way left if I hit return key.  I can't slide the carriage to position it where I want it to be, it will not stay.

I am able to use a small switch on the top left, to hold it in place, but this can't be right.

And the other thing, is that it only occasionally advances with keystrokes, but mostly does not, and the space bar, etc. doesn't do anything.  Then it might work for a bit, before not working again.

Otherwise it seems in good condition, and I'd like to fix it and use it.  Any suggestions where to start?  I have no clue!

31-8-2019 09:48:23  #4

Hi Bobarto. the first suggestion would be to learn the names of the parts of a typewriter. That would help a lot in order to understand what you mean. By the "return key", do you mean the carriage release lever? (there are two on the top of the carriage, one on the right end and another in the left end). If so, it should work like this: if you push it the carriage is free to move, and of course will go to the left, because the carriage supposed to do that. Try this: just hold the carriage with the hand while you push the release lever, and then you can freely move it, left or right, when you have it in the place you want it release the finger from the carriage release lever and it should stay there. If still goes to the left then you might have missing the spring that brings back the carriage release lever to its original position. The "small top left switch" it could be the carriage lock? maybe. The keys and the space bar don't make the carriage move? occasionally? moslty don't? ummm well, I would start cleaning the machine. A lot of malfunctions on typewriters come from sticky mechanisms with old oil and dust, use some alcohol or turpentine (be careful with the paint in the body with this last one) and clean the machine with a brush, ear buds... In any case, if you don't know what you are doing I would take it to someone who knows how to repair and service typewriters. If you don't have access to anybody, then you will always have internet ;) learn, practise and try not to force or bend any parts, if you are taking apart anything make a video or take pictures on how was done so you can build it back ;) good luck and lets see if you can fix it! 

31-8-2019 16:07:38  #5

Thank you for your reply.

When I press the back-spacer key, the carriage rolls all the way to the left.  After that point pressing the back-spacer has no effect. 

I am able to 'catch' the carriage by pressing the space bar several times, and thereafter get a line of type in.  

01-9-2019 02:55:30  #6

The loose dog in the escapement is sticking, which is why the carriage is flying off to the left every so often.  Turn the machine over and put it on a soft surface, like a carpet for instance.    Remove the four screws/rubber feet that hold the base plate.  You should then be able to see the offending loose dog.  Clean as far as you can (it is a bit inaccessible) and lubricate with sewing machine oil.  That should solve your problem !

01-9-2019 10:52:17  #7

Thank you I have located the loose dog on the schematics, and will give this a try!

Board footera