You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2014 20:03:27  #1

Antique Fox Typewriters

I know someone will surely have the knowledge to help me.
I own an antique Fox Sterling portable and need to find the serial number.
I have looked everywhere I can see but can't find it. Does anyone know where the number is located. I need the number to find out more about the year and so forth. I have owned it since the late 60's but I believe it was made somewhere around the turn of the 20th century.
Thank you

18-11-2014 09:40:49  #2

Re: Antique Fox Typewriters

It should be located directly under (below) the vibrator.

(Moved this topic to the Early Typewriters sub-forum).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-11-2014 20:33:36  #3

Thank you very much.

11-3-2018 00:41:20  #4

​I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a beautiful working Fox Sterling.  The research I did reveals it was introduced in Feb., 1921.  The company went into receivership a month later.  The Sterling continued to be made for the rest of the year before production ceased.  Apparently, only about 1,000 of this model were sold.  Typewriterdatabase has no info on serial numbers.

​I was only able to find three actual sold prices on the internet for this model and was surprised how much they seem to command.  A couple sold in the $450 - $525 range, but a fairly recent ebay sale brought $788!  Are they really worth that much?   I got mine from a young lady who inherited it from her mother and just wanted it gone.  She was asking $300CDN, but I got it for $125CDN (around $100 US).

11-3-2018 08:20:44  #5

8T9MustangGT wrote:

​I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a beautiful working Fox Sterling.  The research I did reveals it was introduced in Feb., 1921.  The company went into receivership a month later.  The Sterling continued to be made for the rest of the year before production ceased.  Apparently, only about 1,000 of this model were sold.  Typewriterdatabase has no info on serial numbers.

​I was only able to find three actual sold prices on the internet for this model and was surprised how much they seem to command.  A couple sold in the $450 - $525 range, but a fairly recent ebay sale brought $788!  Are they really worth that much?   I got mine from a young lady who inherited it from her mother and just wanted it gone.  She was asking $300CDN, but I got it for $125CDN (around $100 US).

I've only been collecting typewriters a short period of time but I've collected comics, coins stamps etc my whole life so this may apply to your question. 3 basic factors go into determining the price of a collectible, rarity, condition and demand.For example, you can have an extremely rare item in great condition but if nobody wants it, the price will be low. What I've noticed buying typewriters is there doesn't seem to be a "blue book" of value, so many people selling typewriters (who aren't familiar with them) use Ebay as price guide and inflate the price because other sellers are selling it higher. Ebay also artificially inflates demand since it is an auction site, the thrill of the hunt. My personal example of this: I went to buy a 51 Smith-Corona Clipper from a woman cleaning out her basement. She had no idea what the cost should be but used Ebay and an "antique dealer" friend. Without regard to the condition of the machine, she was trying to get $150 for a machine that was so dirty that many keys couldn't be depressed. I talked her down significantly. The moral of this long rant is that I think Ebay is a bad guide and someone in this forum has an excellent opportunity to write a "buyer's guide/pricing guide" for typewriters.

11-3-2018 12:03:28  #6

​I certainly agree with your views.  I don't love ebay  prices since they usually do not equate to local pricing (not to mention high shipping).  But researching only the "sold" items is one method to at least determine a ballpark figure and perhaps how desirable an item might be.  It still all boils down to buy what you like and pay what you're comfortable with.

​Back to the Fox Sterling, are these in truly high demand by collectors, thus the crazy high prices I've noticed?

11-3-2018 14:44:45  #7

I guess what I was trying to say was that ebay doesn't really give you a true ballpark of prices, they are inflated beyond reason. A local guy here is selling a Fox Sterling in really nice condition for $60 on craigslist. 

Board footera