You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-3-2018 21:47:41  #21

Re: Green portable halda needs some love

FYI, thetypewriterman is a participant here and maybe he can help: http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/

No pecuniary interest in a sale; just trying to point you in a potentially fruitful direction.

17-3-2018 04:16:50  #22

I wish I could help !  Those spools are unique to the Halda portable and fit nothing else.  It might be possible to make a pair, but you would need an original to copy.  They are pure unobtainium !  As an aside, the Halda standard uses a larger version of this spool - but guess what ? The ROYAL spool fits and works perfectly !

17-3-2018 12:04:34  #23

One of my spools look like that.  It's the one that 'eats' the ribbon.  The other side is just a metal spool.  I can make the ribbon go one way, but I can't figure out how to go the other way.

17-3-2018 14:36:21  #24

The Halda spool is turned by means of the little black lugon the underside that you can see in the previous picture.  The silver lug is spring-loaded and drops down when the last of the ribbon has unwound from the spool.  This then operates the ribbon reverse mechanism.  Because you have the wrong spool on one side, it simply idles round and pays out the ribbon, but of course cannot reverse the direction of travel when empty or take up ('eat') the ribbon.  To make the machine work properly, you need a second Halda spool ! 

17-3-2018 16:24:06  #25

thetypewriterman wrote:

To make the machine work properly, you need a second Halda spool ! 

I have this horrible feeling that's going to cost more than the typewriter.  

17-3-2018 18:21:56  #26

Hi Trampled

​Can you or someone else on the forum provide the physical dimensions (outside diameter, bore and height) of the one Halda ribbon spool you have. I bought a box of 120+ assorted ribbons and spools from a tin collector a few years ago, he was just going to throw them out as all he wanted was the tins. If I have one that matches your dimensions with the reverser trigger, it's yours.

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

17-3-2018 19:03:37  #27

I attempted to measure.  I'm not a deft hand with a caliper so please forgive me.  Outside measurements are easy, it's holes that I find difficult.

I posted the pictures here .  

The diameter of the spool is about 52mm or 2 and 1/16"  
The hole is roughly 4mm
The peg that the ribbon fits onto is 3.5mm or 1/8"
and the height about 17mm

17-3-2018 20:11:36  #28

Hi Again

​All the ones I have with the reversing tang are 58mm or 2-5/16" outside diameter. However, one of those has cardboard flanges which could be cut down to the correct diameter, but I couldn't guarantee the tang would properly engage the reversing trigger. If you're interested, PM me your mailing address and I'll get it fired out to you in the mail next week. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

18-3-2018 00:00:06  #29

Ah, it’s one of those kinds...I might be able to fabricate one from aluminum

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

23-3-2018 12:02:01  #30

Sorry, I fell into my typewriter and haven't had the computer on in the last few days.  Simply amazing what having the right tool for the job can do to increase productivity.  

Skywatcher, I sent you a PM.  If I can't make that work, then having one made would probably be the way to go.  

In the meantime, another question for you.  How many times back and forth does a ribbon generally last before it runs out of ink?  I read I can refresh a ribbon so I'm off to look up how to do that.  But I want to know how many ribbons I should stash away so that I have one on hand if I ever need it.  

Board footera