You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-3-2018 18:59:36  #1591

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Fleetwing wrote:

OliverNo.9 wrote:

Another purchase from Ebay around the same time as the 1960 Remington Noiseless. A 1967 Smith-Corona Secretarial 76.
http://typewriterdatabase.com/1967-smith-corona-secretarial-76.10342.typewriter

I got one of these recently myself. Nice machine -- mine is more worn than yours though, especially on that black glossy band where the name appears. Interesting styling, curvy but with sharp angles. I bought it from the son of the couple who bought it new and used it in their business..

Fleetwing, how is the print quality on yours? Mine prints okay but is not the best. However, I have to say that it is one of the better Smith-Corona Standards I have typed on.

27-3-2018 19:02:30  #1592

27-3-2018 20:56:57  #1593

OliverNo.9 wrote:

Fleetwing wrote:

OliverNo.9 wrote:

Another purchase from Ebay around the same time as the 1960 Remington Noiseless. A 1967 Smith-Corona Secretarial 76.
http://typewriterdatabase.com/1967-smith-corona-secretarial-76.10342.typewriter

I got one of these recently myself. Nice machine -- mine is more worn than yours though, especially on that black glossy band where the name appears. Interesting styling, curvy but with sharp angles. I bought it from the son of the couple who bought it new and used it in their business..

Fleetwing, how is the print quality on yours? Mine prints okay but is not the best. However, I have to say that it is one of the better Smith-Corona Standards I have typed on.

Yes, "OK" is about the way to describe the printing. I find that it types similarly to SMC portables of the same vintage -- some characters print unevenly, as if the slugs weren't aligned as well as they could been. But partly I expect that's the effect of a hard platen, which would magnify any uneven contact with the ribbon. I put in a new ribbon and tweaked the on feet adjustment (I love how the Smith-Coronas make the on feet and motion adjustments so easy) and that seems to have helped.

28-3-2018 13:23:26  #1594

Here's one I picked up Sunday.

Here is a link to my google drive where I'm sharing cleaning and restoration pictures.  The platen and feed rollers are off to JJ Short for recovering and I'm cleaning/polishing/oiling etc...
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xr8ImByxdIlIVlrWJxubTfqUUcljRF03?usp=sharing

29-3-2018 10:49:14  #1595

Here is a pair I bought recently. The one one the left is a Brother Opus 210 I bought for my daughter (who lovingly calls it either her "computer" or her "type-uh-writer") to distract her from daddy's typewriter, which is on the right: A 1959 Erika 10.

Both are fully functional. The Brother's paint was coming off in spots, so my wife repainted it. The seller took the German QWERTZ keyboard and graciously converted it to a QWERTY. I put pink nail polish over the tab key because I kept confusing it for the backspace--not a fun way to be woken from the concentration of writing. 

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

29-3-2018 11:39:04  #1596

tricnomistal wrote:

Both are fully functional. The Brother's paint was coming off in spots, so my wife repainted it. The seller took the German QWERTZ keyboard and graciously converted it to a QWERTY. I put pink nail polish over the tab key because I kept confusing it for the backspace--not a fun way to be woken from the concentration of writing. 

I should clarify, starting with the sentence about the QWERTZ keyboard conversion, I'm talking about the Erika. I forgot to properly transition there...

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

06-4-2018 07:08:31  #1597

Here's another recent acquisition. A 1954(?) Smith-Corona "Eighty-Eight" Deluxe Secretarial. Under the ribbon cover is stamped 'Feb 9 1955'. Found it in an indoor flea market.
http://typewriterdatabase.com/1954-smith-corona-eightyeight-deluxe-secretarial.10496.typewriter

06-4-2018 09:08:09  #1598

I have a similar model -- Deluxe Secretarial from a few years later. Only 84 characters but pretty close otherwise -- the margin setting control is a single knob on the right side, and the keytops are thicker. Nice machine, but could use a little alignment of some of the slugs (not printing even vertically).

06-4-2018 15:04:28  #1599

Fleetwing wrote:

I have a similar model -- Deluxe Secretarial from a few years later...

​Sounds like you're describing the 7A (see my '52 example below), an earlier model that had the same margin system as the Super-Speed. I like all of these mid-century Smith-Corona standards and think they're underrated. I suspect it wasn't an appreciated machine back in the day, not if the number of used models available today is any indication of how well they sold when new.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-4-2018 17:13:18  #1600

Interesting -- I'd assumed mine was later, based on Richard Polt's writeup: http://writingball.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-smith-corona-deluxe-secretarial.html

Does yours have a glossy paint job or matte?

Board footera