You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-6-2014 13:52:15  #91

Re: New Member Thread

hi Uwe and thank you! I will have to get to grips with posting photos, but I'll show you what I've been up to in due course

03-6-2014 17:00:11  #92

I'm 26. Beat that! 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

16-6-2014 15:42:53  #93

I'm also 26.

But then again, I don't actually own a typewriter... yet. I, like many here, don't find I'm able to write as well through a computer as I can through physical media. I'm also big on the visual appeal of writing — fonts and handwriting and such. Typewritten lines are always far more beautiful than those printed from a computer. Needless to say, I  also have a penchant for fountain pens, which from what I've read hardly sets me apart here.

The first and only typewriter I've used was a big heavy 70s electric model that my mother had. As a child I did all sorts of stories and lists and labels on it, and loved it. I didn't get to use it too often though, as my mother preferred to keep it hidden away in the basement. I can't for the life of me remember the brand, and there's no way to check now because she cleverly gave it away a few years ago.

I've had the typewriter idea stuck in my head for several months now. I had orginially hoped to find a nice 30s upright model in good enough condition to use. However, having read several websites and watched countless YouTube videos in order to understand what I would be getting myself into, I suddenly find myself with an urge to do some restoration work, give another life to an old machine or two, and save them from the key-snatchers. Funny how these things happen.

Unfortunately I'm not currently in a position to run out to the flea markets and boot sales to pick up the first model I can find (I'm "on the road", so to speak). But hopefully within a month I can grab one (or two). I'm really itching to get at it. Which is why I signed up to this forum... So I can feel like I'm actually moving towards typewritership instead of just rereading the same webpages over and over. Nice to be here.

16-6-2014 15:47:40  #94

Welcome Erboing!  Nice to have you here... there does seem to be a lot of Canadians here, I wonder what the connection is with typewriters..?

"...as if you could kill time without injuring eternity".

17-6-2014 02:40:45  #95

Interesting... Maybe the tinkering provides something to do during the long, cold Canadian winters? Or maybe there's just more space to keep several models.

Note that though I am Canadian, I'm currently jobseeking (bumming around) in the UK.

Last edited by Erboinq (17-6-2014 02:41:20)

17-6-2014 04:39:11  #96

Well, if your travels bring you to south east London, the best place to pick up an inexpensive typewriter is Deptford Market (Wed, Fri & Sat), where you can normally pick one up for £3-£10...  I've had to sell seven of mine recently as I was running out of space.

"...as if you could kill time without injuring eternity".

17-6-2014 04:54:07  #97

Kasper wrote:

Well, if your travels bring you to south east London, the best place to pick up an inexpensive typewriter is Deptford Market (Wed, Fri & Sat), where you can normally pick one up for £3-£10...  I've had to sell seven of mine recently as I was running out of space.

Thanks for this! I seem to live in a typewriter desert...

17-6-2014 11:49:06  #98

Ditto. Seriously helpful information. I'll keep it in mind. I've popped into a few charity shops here and there but haven't seen any yet. I imagine markets like you mention and boot sales are probably better places to find them. Cheers.

27-6-2014 03:31:56  #99

Good morning to everyone! Καλημέρα σε όλους!

My name is Demetrios, I am 18 and I live in Greece. I always had a fascination about typewriters. Even though I completely belong to the so-called "computer technology generation", I have always thought that the more complicated devices are, the more you are distracted from your whoever goal. This is just my personal view. To come into typewriters, I've always craved the sound, the feel, the préstige of a typewriting machine. I feel that the generated document has more of a personal touch. For me, even the carriage return, the paper insert and all these seem to me like some form of rite!
      I didn't have a typewriter until 3 days ago! I had been an expert using MS Word since I was a little kid, but always wanted a typewriter. This year was a very difficult one for me, since I had the final university-entrance exams in May (lots of studying!!!), so I postponed the purchase until the very day I finish.-
     So it happened. I had previously ordered the machine from a buying site and Tuesday 24, as soon as I finished the last exam, I rushed to the post office to pickup the typewriter! This is my first typewriter ever. It is a manual portable OLIVETTI LETTERA 35 (for 100 Euros), in perfect working condition (pale color) with it's case (a black one). I really haven't taken my hands from her (well, ok, only to register and type this post haha!).-
    As I had read in several blog posts, articles etc. it is not random that many writers (whatever genre) still use this mechanically operated writing instrument. As soon as I sat on my desk with the typewriter upon it (computer was turned off!) I said to myself: "There you are. No internet, no applications, no Youtube. Just write!". And so on! Needless to say that she ignited my creativity! I am finishing the first chapter of my first ever story! This is something I would do in no case using Word; the distraction, the worry about fonts and colours and design, the convenience of deleting, croping and pasting really induced me in procrastination.-
    Typewriting is a wonderful experience. For the three days I have the typewriter, I feel that it is a piano that produces words rather than sounds. And as an amateur pianist, I know that even the worst improvisation (just hitting keys and chords!) will result in something, won't it? I believe the same thing applies to typewriters.-
    My only concern is about parts: even though I found some replacing ribbons here in Greece, I don't know if they will fit. But anyway, I'll post to the proper thread for advice.-
    Nevertheless, these are roughly my first thoughts about typewriting. I am really excited to join the forum and discuss with the other members. Participating in this forum is really useful for anyone who uses or collects typewriters. -

Again good morning!

Demetrios

Last edited by dimitrio96 (27-6-2014 03:40:49)

27-6-2014 21:44:52  #100

Demetrios, I really enjoyed reading your first post. Congratulations on your first typewriter, and welcome to Typewriter Talk!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera