You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-5-2018 12:10:07  #1

1937 Corona Silent Flat Top

Does anyone know the size screw that holds the roller plate under the platen?  You can see them underneath
the carriage on both sides (there are two, total).  Tiny, tiny screws.  On my machine, they are missing.  I found out after removing the platen and it was hell trying to put it back together because the roller plate wouldn't stay put underneath it because the screws holding it was missing.  

20-5-2018 18:57:19  #2

Re: 1937 Corona Silent Flat Top

Know what you’re talking about, have no idea how to size screws.  Go bring the part to a hardware store and try a ton of screws at random.  That’s what I do.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

20-5-2018 19:15:24  #3

Wish I could take the part to a hardware store, but I am not about to take it out again. I had a hard enough time putting the thing back the first time.  I’ll have to go find the smallest screws I can and by trial and error see which one fits.

20-5-2018 21:58:31  #4

Just determined that those screws are #0 thread, or 1/16" diameter x 1/8" long.   But the slotted head can't be too small.  It needs to be about 3/16" diameter.

20-5-2018 22:04:23  #5

Hi Gaust

​Looking at the flat top models I have S/N 1A12117 & 1A20568, neither of them have those retaining screws. However, looking at the thread size, I'd lean towards a #4-44 x ¼" or shorter. Hope this gives you something to work with,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

20-5-2018 22:15:43  #6

Note that the threads on old typewriter screws often differ from modern standardized threads; so it can be difficult to find an exact match at the hardware store.

21-5-2018 06:40:34  #7

SoucekFan wrote:

Note that the threads on old typewriter screws often differ from modern standardized threads; so it can be difficult to find an exact match at the hardware store.

And if you don't have an exact match, then as tempting as it will be, it's best not to force in something that's close as that will forever weaken the joint, probably not look quite right, and reduce collector value. SoucekFan is right about the possibility of proprietary threads and it's more of a problem the farther back you go.

21-5-2018 08:07:22  #8

I found out by sticking a toothpick in the hole and then measuring the diameter of the impression the hole made on the toothpick.  The diameter is 1/16".  That translates to #0 according a size chart I found online.  Thank you for the info about old threads on old typewriters.  I may elect not to do anything about it, just leave it without the screws.  It's in the proper position because the screw holes have sleeves that fit into holes in the carriage bed.  The roller plate is in place, the typewriter types well, so what the hell.....the rollers needed cleaning and I did that.  Now that's its reassembled and working, I think I'll just leave it alone.

Board footera