You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-3-2018 23:05:59  #11

Re: How many machines do you have?

As for a favorite.  Hmmm.  Modern machines:  Olympia SM-3.  Have a nice green one.  Royal Futura 800.  These are two of the better typers I own.  Antique machines:  Smith Premier 4.  Who needs a shift key when there are two keyboards? Seeing what I type as I type it is overrated.   (Smith Premier 4 is a blind typewriter).

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

12-3-2018 18:20:08  #12

Well, my family declared me nuts the moment I bought my first typewriter.  I currently own 6 machines and like Javi my favorite one is the Continental Silenta. It's really nice to type on, I don't get any noise complaints and its fancy mechanism even intrigues people who have nothing to do with typewriters. My workhorse would be the Triumph Electric 15 my grandmother handed down to me. It's a behemoth and causes earthquakes every time I use it but it's reliable, exact and due to it being an electric I can effortlessly type for hours with my computer spoiled fingers   

12-3-2018 18:30:53  #13

I do recall my very first typewriter.  It’s a royal 10, missing the serial number, but it’s afrer 1931, and before 1934.  I took the entire thing apart bit by bit.  I was 13 and don’t know the first thing about typewriters, but I figured it out, and it works flawlessly.  One of my proudest accomplishments, and one of my most reliable and coveted machines I get up past 103 words per minute.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

23-4-2018 19:24:05  #14

Lucas Dul wrote:

I do recall my very first typewriter. It’s a royal 10, missing the serial number, but it’s afrer 1931, and before 1934. I took the entire thing apart bit by bit. I was 13 and don’t know the first thing about typewriters, but I figured it out, and it works flawlessly. One of my proudest accomplishments, and one of my most reliable and coveted machines I get up past 103 words per minute.

There's a video on Youtube of a guy typing on a Royal 10. I didn't know the older typewriters could go that fast until I saw him do it. The 10 has been on my wish list for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=21&v=TIDE1ldJqvE

Time is something you can never get back, use it wisely.

03-5-2018 10:10:19  #15

I currently own 10 machines, but I did have two others which I’ve since sold.  Five portables, five ultr-portables.  My favorite typewriter presently is the Hermes 3000, the earlier version.  I have four Smith Coronas, every series represented except for series 4, and three Olivetti’s.  Recently acquired a 1949 Royal QDL, which I really like.  The typing action is light and direct and such a no- nonsense machine, a true classic.  I’ve learned to appreciate all of them after taking the time and effort to clean them and get them working again.
There may be a couple more I’m eyeing, but ten is a good number for me.  I like using them all and that’s all I can handle

19-5-2018 22:45:01  #16

I'm currently at 58 typewriters, have never sold or otherwise rid myself of any, though I have had to slow down as I start focusing on condition of a machine rather than letting anything pass. Got a couple boat anchors with that mindset... yes I'm looking at you, front half of a Smith Premier 2. Examining, repairing, and comparing them all is too much fun.

My all-time favorite machine for typing on is a dead tie between the Royal QDL and the Royal No. 5.

20-5-2018 01:13:25  #17

curly wrote:

There's a video on Youtube of a guy typing on a Royal 10. I didn't know the older typewriters could go that fast until I saw him do it. The 10 has been on my wish list for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=21&v=TIDE1ldJqvE

Yes!  I love it.  I just passed 110 words per minute.  I have a problem...typewriters are just too awesome and I think all my friends think I’m crazy.  If I see ribbons installed wrong, I don’t care whose machine it is, or where I am, I have to fix it.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

24-5-2018 11:41:54  #18

SaladKing wrote:

I'm currently at 58 typewriters, have never sold or otherwise rid myself of any, though I have had to slow down as I start focusing on condition of a machine rather than letting anything pass. Got a couple boat anchors with that mindset... yes I'm looking at you, front half of a Smith Premier 2. Examining, repairing, and comparing them all is too much fun.

My all-time favorite machine for typing on is a dead tie between the Royal QDL and the Royal No. 5.

You have the front half of a Smith Premier 2?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

24-5-2018 22:23:50  #19

I only have four and would like to get a few more, but not until I have a place to put them.
I love how spritely my Underwood Standard feels and the sturdiness of my Royal KMM.

23-7-2018 21:01:07  #20

JeffMo74 wrote:

So I'm new to collecting (since December 2017) and I already have 20 machines. I was wondering how many machines most people have. Do you repair and keep them or do you repair and sell them? Do you have a favorite way of selling them (app, shop, craigslist, other)?  Asking for a friend. Well, that friend is my wife. She thinks I'm nuts.
Jeff

Sub-topic: All-time favorite machine you have ever owned and why.

Jeff:  I feel your pain/ecstasy... I've been collecting since 2015.  I "hid" them in the garage for the first two years but I had to "come out" last year when my husband finally noticed.  HA.   The only way I could continue to get away with it was say I was going into business and I started an online shop and began cleaning and servicing my treasures.  Its been quite a ride.  I own about 30 at this time, have sold a dozen since the start of 2018.  My main challenge is finding parts - I have yet to find a supplier for manual typewriter parts in the U.S. and the nearest typewriter repair shop is 2 hours away.  
Favorite machine (so far):  1950 Smith Corona Silent - as solid as they get, more reliable for me than the Clipper and Silent Super
Best of luck to you!  (Tell the wife she can chat with my husband if she wants to compare notes on crazy)  

Board footera