You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-5-2018 12:33:46  #11

Re: Sears Typewriters

Hi Kng

​The S in the prefix denotes this unit to have been built for Sears (I believe). The closest I can find to your serial number on the Typewriter Database is the 6LR- prefix indicating it's a 1961 model 200 (electric?). Hope this gives you something to work with,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-5-2018 12:50:52  #12

Thank you skywatcher! 

It came with the original Sears 5 Year Guarantee, with a handwritten date of sale of No 28 1964, so this could be a 1961 model.  My model is not electric.

-Kyle

28-3-2022 16:29:39  #13

Although the Smith Corona Series 5 is not the absolute favourite in my collection and since I have a seafoam green 1957 Silent Super in my collection already, I have nevertheless kept an eye out for the Sears Tower (Presidential) version for some time...as I think the color combination is pretty delicious.

I was watching a pretty nice-conditioned one on Shop Good Will and just entered a bid to keep track of the auction and what it went for.  (They do not seem to have a "watch it" feature other than entering a bid.)

Low and behold, I wake up this a.m. to find out I am the winner.

More photos when it is home and cleaned & serviced.

I will be sure to send SGW an email asking them to make sure the machine is placed and secured in the case right-side up and give them my typical packing tips.

28-3-2022 17:44:54  #14

Don't wait to advise them about the case---they're probably storing it this way and bouncing it around their storage area.

28-3-2022 18:30:55  #15

M. Höhne, sent my email this afternoon and got a nice thank you reply and that my message would be given to their packing folks.  I have worked with this SGW location before and they pack well if you prompt them.  Once they even filled the void in the cardboard box with clean, donated blankets.

28-3-2022 19:19:02  #16

I think the Tower will still "pale" compared to this ADDO (Facit) in my home.  I could not get my wallet out fast enough to acquire this one.

29-3-2022 20:54:31  #17

Bluesguru in yyc,

Maybe more Facit's on your east coast ???

I got a 1971 Facit T2 out of Nova Scotia.  Had it shipped to me over 3,000 miles away.  Seller and I traded emails and photos of the packing process and this big machine came out of the box with 0% damage and no operational issues.

05-4-2022 13:07:38  #18

So my new-to-me Tower President made in 1958 arrived safely and got the royal treatment on my work bench.  Case cleaned up nicely as well.

Here are some "after" photos and one along side its cousin-typewriter...S-C Silent Super from 1957.

Board footera