You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-9-2017 14:56:58  #51

Re: What hobbies do you have?

I fly-fish, collect bamboo and fiberglass rods and turn of the century fly reels, hunt, shoot trap, collect first editions and vintage photographs, film cameras, records and briar pipes. I'm a writer and only use typewriters. I read and correspond obsessively.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

28-10-2017 18:37:22  #52

Fly fishing, bamboo rods...Nice! I haven't been fly fishing since my college days. I need to get back into that. I did manage to get out with my dad this summer, and we saw a HUGE (24") brown trout in a deep pool in an otherwise small creek that nobody ever goes too (kind of our secret)  Didn't catch it. It was easily spooked.

My other hobbies include:
• photography and a modest collection of film and digital cameras ranging from compact point and shoot digitals on up to a 4x5 view camera. My latest acquisition is a 1950s Rolleiflex. I just processed some rolls of film from it, and they came out nicely.

• music - both listening and playing. I have a modest, but very decent Hi Fi set up with a couple vintage turntables. I also have a small collection of electric and acoustic guitars, one outstanding Fender P bass and a couple vintage drum kits. 

• sports cars - I do have a car that I drive on occasion, and have been on a race track with it once so far.

• I am a watch nerd.

I also enjoy cycling, and I am a competitive Masters rower

I'm probably missing something, but that's the gist of my non working activities. And now typewriters...like I need another distraction 

01-11-2017 14:53:21  #53

Hobby farm with all it entails.

03-7-2018 19:43:28  #54

My  hobbies include typing, reading, and various other sundries. I am currently writing a history of the 56th Infantry Battalion of the Australian Imperial Force in WW1, the unit with which my great-granduncle saw combat and was killed in action. ( Sorry for the gloom...) I also own my grandfather's old 35mm film camera, constantly armed with a roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 black and white negative film. I do not develop my own film... yet!

I am a dangerous man when turned loose with a typewriter.
- Charles Bukowski

03-7-2018 20:48:05  #55

H D Thneedington. wrote:

snip ....  I also own my grandfather's old 35mm film camera, constantly armed with a roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 black and white negative film. I do not develop my own film... yet!

How can you tantalize us with your grandfather's 35mm camera without mentioning what model it is??
Also ... like that "... yet!"    
Have Fun!

21-3-2021 20:44:31  #56

My hobbies are in fishkeeping, calligraphy and typewriters(duh. LOL). If anyone has questions about fisheekping feel free to inbox me!

05-4-2021 23:12:09  #57

I'm a "camera hacker," as in, I like to build cameras, primarily panoramics, then use them to make photographs. I also love camera repair, motion picture camera repair, shooting still and motion picture film. These days, I'm not a fan of digital capture, but it has its place. I love working on my 1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, as it's a "rolling restoration," meaning, I do what I can to maintain, and improve when I can. Slowly but surely. 
I'm a cyclist and I've been a bike mechanic on and off since 1994. I love rebuilding Sturmey-Archer AW and SW hubs.
Finally, I've become an apprentice typewriter repairman, as a way to keep some sanity during the last year. I cherish the time I get to sit in early morning and write a letter or just some thoughts, before work. Of course, I love getting into the entrails of the machines as well, bringing them back to life and sending them along for, hopefully, another half-century of writing.
Phil Forrest

15-1-2022 18:54:10  #58

I've never heard of a camera hacker before, that's pretty cool!  I love shooting film myself, it's a different process that's more hands on, feels extra creative if that makes any sense.  I have a darkroom setup in my basement where I also repair typewriters.  So far it's just black and white, but I'd love to make color RA4 prints.  I develop color and black and white in 35, 127, and 120 though.  Do you use 3d printers at all for your cameras?  I know some people have done some really cool panoramic ones with 35mm.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

15-1-2022 20:46:18  #59

I do RA-4, at least when I'm in the state where my house and darkroom are. But I took a fulltime job elsewhere and don't know when I'll see it again. But I brought my 4x5 and most or maybe all of my medium format cameras. 

20-1-2022 01:34:51  #60

I have not dipped into large format, it just sounds expensive!  Haven't put the money down for RA4 chemistry, but I really want to.  Medium format is a joy to work with though, gotta love waistlevel.  Something about it just makes me feel at home.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera