You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-7-2018 07:26:32  #1

Smith Corona Electra 220

Well, I didn't think this was going to happen; was out yesterday trying to sell some surplus yard tools and wound up at the local thrift shop.  Saw an electric typewriter on the back shelf, and since it was the first one I've seen since starting to look, went over to check it out.  It's a Smith Corona Electra 220, and the carriage made a grinding noise when I tried to move it back and forth--but since it was only $7.00, I bought it.  Got it home and found out one of the keys (the "n") was completely disconnected and the linkage to the typebar was bent.  Got that fixed and the carriage was okay, too.  the back cover was out of position and pushing against the back carriage rail.  Once that was fixed and I put in a good ribbon, it was working perfectly.  This must be what it means to be "bitten."
Anyway, I don't know anything about this typewriter; the serial # is 6ELO 133921 and doesn't match anything in the Typewriter Database.  There aren't many listed in the Database, and I have no manual.  I'm assuming that it is from the late '60's, but I don't know for sure.  It's filthy and really needs disassembling so it can be properly cleaned, but I'm not going to take it apart without having something to go by.  It's a great typer, if you like electrics--I still prefer the manuals' touch.  Any suggestions or info?
Thanks.

Nothing valuable was ever lost by taking time.  A. Lincoln

01-5-2019 19:58:50  #2

Re: Smith Corona Electra 220

I'm late to the post but that model is on my short list. They are supposed to be really nice.

Time is something you can never get back, use it wisely.

10-8-2019 18:17:50  #3

Re: Smith Corona Electra 220

I had a similar situation in that I found an Electra 120, which I assume is just a little bit older than the 220. Several of the typebars were disconnected and it was a pretty big pain to reattach them, but once that was done it works very well. I also prefer the touch of a manual, but that electric assistance is really nice transition for those used to typing on computers since there's pretty much no effort involved and all the keys are on the same level as opposed to the typical "levels" on manuals. 

1937 Royal Model O Portable, 1949 Underwood Champion, 1954 Olympia SM-3, 1955 Royal Quiet De Luxe, 1957 Hermes Rocket, 1957 Imperial De Luxe 5, 1959 Smith-Corona Sterling, 1963 Olivetti Studio 44, 1963 Olympia SM-7, 1968 Olympia SG-3, 196X Smith-Corona Electra 120

Board footera