You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-8-2018 10:57:21  #1

Remington Model 1 with "ghost" printing

Hello,

I'm new here, and I didn't find a topic about this (could be I didn't know the proper search term).

I have a Remington Model 1 portable that I did the best I could to clean it and fix what needed fixing (with my very limited skills). It has a new ribbon and it works well (apart from a few small things, but it's an elderly typewriter, so it's understandable).
However, there is a, for the lack of a better term, "ghost" print effect when I type with it.
The type is otherwise clearly legible, but the punctuation (question mark, comma etc.) seem to have a faint ghostly double right beside them. It's especially visible with the period. So every time I type "." it looks like ".."
The letters come out fine, but a little "smudged", which I don't understand. I cleaned the typefaces well so it's not dirt. Could something be smudging the fresh print?

Sorry about the odd explanation. I would add an image, but I only have it on my computer, not a third party website.

Any ideas on what could cause this, and if there's something I can do to remedy it, are greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reading.

04-8-2018 13:04:11  #2

Re: Remington Model 1 with "ghost" printing

This could be a matter of typing technique.  If you linger too long on the key with each finger, the typebar comes up, hits the paper, begins to drop back, comes up against the linkage which is still being tensioned by you finger, bounces forward - then hits the paper again giving a second, weaker impression.  The best way to type is to pretend that each key is red hot and that you only want to peck at it because you will otherwise burn your fingertips.  See if this helps.

04-8-2018 13:21:58  #3

Tom might well be right, but I have to say that I have two typers, and the ghosting mentioned above happens to me with one machine, not the other. FYI, it happens on the Remington Noiseless Portable, not the Olympia SM3. Same typist, same technique, although the Noiseless has a different mechanism.

04-8-2018 13:56:14  #4

Thank you both for replying. My technique is awkward to say the least, sort of hunt and peck with aspirations.
I think that might be responsible for at least some of the ghost effect.
Like Rob, I don't have any of those problems on my other typewriter (Lettera 32). But the keys are closer together on the Lettera, or they are at least less "alien" than the Remington's, so I type faster and cleaner. There's a lot less waving around involved ;)
Rob, I find it very interesting that you get a ghosting effect on your Remington portable as well. Curious!

04-8-2018 14:06:21  #5

The Remington Ghost strikes again (and again!).

04-8-2018 14:12:11  #6

RobMacKillop wrote:

The Remington Ghost strikes again (and again!).

:D
What are the odds that these machines are haunted?

06-8-2018 04:35:05  #7

I've come around to thinking we are all correct here. Tom's position is that technique might be the problem, and I think he is absolutely correct. But after reading Richard Polt's comments about the Remington Noiseless Portable, the problem is more acute with these machines:

"They create a quieter, though not silent, typing experience by slowing down the type bars just as they approach the platen...They require a light staccato touch to avoid skipping and double-printing."

Okay, BlackLicorice, you don't have a Noiseless, but a Remington is a Remington, so there might be some connection there. I think we both have to improve our technique, well I certainly do. 

06-8-2018 05:32:28  #8

I've been confused about this since I bought the Remington. It's not the Noiseless, but it has similar looking typebars, with the odd double-arm-thing (using strictly technical terms here). I'm guessing the type bars are not the only thing that make the Noiseless noiseless?

Yes, I agree, my technique definitely needs improving. It takes time to learn out of the computer keyboard approach, I guess.
Slightly off topic: You're referring to Polt's book "The Typewriter Revolution", yes? I've been eyeing that for a while now. Would it be useful for a newbie like me? I'm especially interested in being able to fix my typewriters.

06-8-2018 06:07:28  #9

It's an excellent book for newbies. Highly recommended. I just got mine three days ago, and am picking up a lot of useful info from it. But I haven't yet come across a chapter on fixing typewriters. 

06-8-2018 06:27:43  #10

Thanks, Rob. I'll buy a copy, then. I've only heard good things.

Board footera