You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-6-2014 12:47:33  #1

Lettera 22 and modern plastic spools

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but anyway. I recently changed the ribbon spools on my Lettera 22 and found that the new modern plastic spools are about a millimetre too high to allow spool movement with the spool cover on. Off, the ribbon advanced fine. I tried taking the spool cover on and off several times, adjusting the nuts, etc, and came to the conclusion that those plastic spools are just not right. So I'm winding my new ribbon onto the original spools next time. I suppose I could type with the cover off, but I don't like it that way! Anyone else noticed this with plastic spools?

23-6-2014 16:02:30  #2

Re: Lettera 22 and modern plastic spools

I cannot say that I have noticed this.  The plastic spools should (in theory) be the same dimensions as the metal ones. You can double-check by temporarily re-fitting a metal spool.  I do wonder if the four rubber grommets that support the cast aluminium case have perished, allowing the case to sit lower and foul the top of the spools.

23-6-2014 16:10:41  #3

Funny you should say about the grommets. I replaced them the day after I got the typewriter as they were indeed completely perished away. Maybe I need to get some thicker ones though.

24-6-2014 08:17:30  #4

Ha! yes, thicker gromets has sorted this out. Thank you for the suggestion, thetypewriterman. But I'm still keeping those original spools, they're so nice!

Board footera