You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-9-2018 16:49:51  #1

Help on Early Underwood Typrewriter

I hope someone can help with identification of an old typewriter, and sorry in advance if the answer is an easy one.

I found an old Underwood typewriter at an antique shop last week and picked it up, thinking collecting old typewriters would be a cool hobby (I'm a writer, so typewriters are a nostalgic part of the job). Out of curiosity, I've tried identifying the manufacture year, but I can't find one that looks like it online anywhere.

The model information I see is Underwood II IN., but I haven't been able to find one like it online. Could someone help with a definitive model number and year of manufacture? I have a serial number (I think) if that would help.

Thanks to anyone who can help. A picture of the typewriter is here.

[img]blob:http://typewriter.boardhost.com/0059d59f-6ccf-4a1b-a049-806db33a7d84[/img]

06-9-2018 16:51:22  #2

Re: Help on Early Underwood Typrewriter

ChiWriter wrote:

I hope someone can help with identification of an old typewriter, and sorry in advance if the answer is an easy one.

I found an old Underwood typewriter at an antique shop last week and picked it up, thinking collecting old typewriters would be a cool hobby (I'm a writer, so typewriters are a nostalgic part of the job). Out of curiosity, I've tried identifying the manufacture year, but I can't find one that looks like it online anywhere.

The model information I see is Underwood II IN., but I haven't been able to find one like it online. Could someone help with a definitive model number and year of manufacture? I have a serial number (I think) if that would help.

Thanks to anyone who can help. A picture of the typewriter is here.

[img]blob:http://typewriter.boardhost.com/0059d59f-6ccf-4a1b-a049-806db33a7d84[/img]

Sorry, it looks like you're not able to post images on this board. I hope I've given enough information in the text that can help.

06-9-2018 17:12:32  #3

The "11 IN" is the carriage size. It may be a Model 6 or 3, but I would need to see a photo or serial number to know.

06-9-2018 17:24:34  #4

SoucekFan wrote:

The "11 IN" is the carriage size. It may be a Model 6 or 3, but I would need to see a photo or serial number to know.

Thanks for the information. I tried pasting a photo in my post, but I guess you can't do that on this forum. The serial number (at least I think it is) is 769780-II

Thanks so much for the quick reply--I hope the serial number helps.

06-9-2018 17:38:03  #5

It is most likely a 1928 Underwood Model 3.

As far as posting photos, members can post photos after they have created three posts; so you should be able to now. The info on how to do so is in the FAQ here.

06-9-2018 17:57:22  #6

SoucekFan wrote:

It is most likely a 1928 Underwood Model 3.

As far as posting photos, members can post photos after they have created three posts; so you should be able to now. The info on how to do so is in the FAQ here.

I believe I've figured out how to post a photo. Here's a link to a photo of the typewriter I've been asking about:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t06tm0h5f8yzucm/IMG_3934.jpeg?dl=0

06-9-2018 19:51:33  #7

Yes, that looks like a 1928 Underwood Model 3. From the photo, it appears the front panel has a different finish/decaling than the original factory style, likely from being serviced or refurbished by a dealer or shop way back in the day.

Board footera