You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-9-2018 09:30:31  #1

Olympia SFL

Hello!
I purchased my second portable typewriter off of eBay and I am trying to figure out just what I got. It appears to be an Olympic SFL. I can find reference online to the SF series (Screibmaschine Flach = flat typewriter), but no reference to the "L" version. What did I buy? Hours of searching the googles has turned up no information, and the only photos I found are of THE machine I purchased! The search feature here has also turned up no hits.

13-9-2018 11:06:27  #2

Re: Olympia SFL

I have seen other SFL-branded models online, but have never had the opportunity to examine one in person. It appears to have all the same features as the Traveller de Luxe, the Traveller being the most common name used for that SF-series typewriter. Given that it's a Yugoslavian-made model, it's definitely a later version, and knowing the machine's serial number might provide further insight. If I had to speculate, I'd guess that it was either one of the final examples of that model's production history, or it was branded as a SFL because of some arrangement with a specific retailer.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-9-2018 12:21:23  #3

Interesting! It is scheduled for delivery today, I will get the serial number and report back.

13-9-2018 16:31:11  #4

The serial number is: 15-6099673
There is a machine currently listed on eBay as a Traveler de Luxe with "MCM" in the auction title, that machine is the only one I have seen so far that has the same keys as mine. A search for "MCM" only turns up that same machine.

13-9-2018 16:33:09  #5

AND, my keyboard has a key that does not match the hammer it's attached to. The left hand "+ =" key actually strikes a "! 1".

14-9-2018 09:48:13  #6

I was hoping for a higher serial number, but at least it disproves one of my theories that it was a near production end model. There were many Traveller and Traveller de Luxe typewriters made after yours, which I'm guessing is a ca.1984 model.

I have come across the MCM before, but I don't recall where. It might have been on eBay or some other online seller, but it was quite a while ago. Unfortunately, at the moment I'm not using the computer that I keep notes on such things, so I'll have to try and remember to look it up later on.

With respect to the key/slug mismatch on your Olympia, you'll notice that you have two "+ =" keys. The most simple explanation for this is that the original "! 1" key was either lost or broken, and someone replaced it with another key. Obviously they didn't have the correct one, but as anyone here will tell you, it's better to have any key at all on a key bar rather than no key at all!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-9-2018 10:17:54  #7

1984 is good, I was looking for a good user and this one fits the bill nicely.

Agreed! Any key is better than no key. Maybe someday I will find the correct key and "fix" it.

Any more information you can find would be greatly appreciated,  THANKS!

14-9-2018 10:23:28  #8

I noticed from your photos that you have the owner's manual for the typewriter. There might be more clues to the machine's age - and the SFL designator - in it. Perhaps sharing photos of its pages (including back cover) might reveal more.

14-9-2018 10:49:25  #9

Will do, standby.

Board footera