You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-6-2014 09:38:10  #1

Finally, my third post, with a picture. Can't they use captchas!??

The grandkids like to play with my Underwood Champion. This part came off and I don't know where it goes. I assume it came off the typewriter, anyway. Who can tell me how and where to put it back? Also, the part on the top back that says 'Champion' is loose on the right end. Can I just force it back on?
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/paulalovescats/DSCN36321.jpg

27-6-2014 16:17:14  #2

Re: Finally, my third post, with a picture. Can't they use captchas!??

Dear Paula,
                 Welcome to the forum !  That part is simply a piece of noise-reducing material which would have been glued to the metal casing to make the machine quieter when you are typing.  I'm not totally sure where it came from but my guess is either the front or back of the machine (look on the inside of the casing for tell-tale signs of glue stains roughly the shape of the part)  If you cannot glue it back in place without major dismantling of the outer casing, do not be too concerned.  The machine will work fine without it and I doubt if you could tell the difference in sound with it in place in any case !  Regarding the part that says 'Champion' (it is called the 'Paper Table') I cannot really advise without more photos/details.  The golden rule is never force anything on a typewriter !

27-6-2014 22:29:00  #3

Re: Finally, my third post, with a picture. Can't they use captchas!??

I really wouldn't worry about it. But if you ARE - Might I suggest buying some NEW foam of the same thickness - tracing and cutting out a NEW piece, and then gluing it back in? 

It would prevent all the same dust, gunk and old glue from the old panel (probably 60 or 70 years old by now, easily) from getting back into the typewriter. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera