You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-9-2018 09:25:25  #1

Royal Portable Model P - Serial Number 'R'

A request for information.

I'm working on a  Royal Portable (Model P) that has a serial number starting with an 'R'. I've only seen two of these machines before, one of which is in the Typewriter Database and another on ebay. Though, I can find no information about why the serial number would start with an 'R'. Does anyone have any information as to why?

The serial number in question is R188620. The reference serial number in the Typewriter Database is  R188393, manufactured in 1930.

The Tinkering Typist, Master Tinkerteer.
https://thetinkeringtypist.com

09-10-2018 07:44:22  #2

Re: Royal Portable Model P - Serial Number 'R'

R for Royal?

09-10-2018 11:24:45  #3

It is interesting because both of those are from around the time they transitioned the shell design from the open-spool ribbon cover to the gullwing style.

17-10-2018 10:07:33  #4

SoucekFan wrote:

It is interesting because both of those are from around the time they transitioned the shell design from the open-spool ribbon cover to the gullwing style.

More than that, the machines have updated feet and color selectors. I'm thinking it's either attributed to R standing for Rerun or Reserve, being that they found some parts left over after they began manufacturing new body styles.

Further curiosity makes me wonder about the P88 serial numbers, though, I have yet to come across one myself.

The Tinkering Typist, Master Tinkerteer.
https://thetinkeringtypist.com

17-10-2018 10:52:41  #5

tinkeringtypist wrote:

Further curiosity makes me wonder about the P88 serial numbers, though, I have yet to come across one myself.

I believe the '88' prefix was used to designate export models.

16-5-2019 06:47:32  #6

I have a royal P of 1929 with prefix 88. This was purchased in the Netherlands. The only other machine I have found on the database is also in the Netherlands. This would appear to confirm that 88 is attributed to export models.

Board footera