You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-10-2018 20:15:30  #1

thinking of taking my typewriter travelling

I'm taking a course at the end of the month that involves spending a night in a guest house.  I would really like to take the time away from the internet to work on my next book.  It has wi-fi, so if I take my aged laptop, I would be tempted to check my email.

I've never typed outside the home before.

Do people find the sound annoying?  Does it travel through a house?  I wouldn't type after hours, but I'm nervous of being a nuisance.  

What do you do in this kind of situation?

10-10-2018 20:51:02  #2

Re: thinking of taking my typewriter travelling

I've travelled many times with a typewriter, and would encourage it. As for disturbing others, you just need to apply common sense. When you get there you should be able to asses how soundproof the rooms are, and if need be, I'm sure that you'd be able to find a more isolated place to type.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-10-2018 09:17:06  #3

Thank you.

I got my Halda off the shelf for a few test types.  I forgot that I forgot to fix the back door.  I have it closed with magnets right now, but it won't stay closed and with it open, the bell won't work.  I'll have to fix that before I bring it.  

11-10-2018 22:08:15  #4

You might want to invest in an ultra-portable model. They are the ideal travel partners because they're generally much lighter, and take up less room. I can fit one under a plane seat, not something that you can do with many regular portables. And you should be able to pick up one for under $50.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-10-2018 22:14:11  #5

They sound brilliant.  One day... 

I'm travelling by car so I've lots of room for everything.  I'm not going to take my big old desktop machine, as it has a bad habit of breaking tables.  But Halda Portable is good enough for this journey.

I got some stronger magnets and the back door stays closed now.  Still having a bit of trouble with the carriage not advancing for a, s, q, and w.  I suspect this is user error because I sometimes have that trouble with the other machine.  

It's a lot quieter than I remember.

18-10-2018 07:38:42  #6

I took a Royalite with me on a Carribean vacation and had no issues. I didn't use it as much as I wanted to, but when I did there were no complaints. As a matter of fact, one person said she enjoyed the nolstagic sound.  I wouldn't worry about it.

18-10-2018 11:03:29  #7

Tellet wrote:

I took a Royalite with me on a Carribean vacation...

Been there, done that!  Took my '59 Royalite on that particular trip.

Board footera