You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-10-2018 20:03:03  #1

All letter-keys are stucked (Monarch Remington)

Hello!

I have just inheritet my great grandfathers typewriter. It is a beautiful typewriter and I am looking forward to actually using it, and not just store it on a shelf.

The problem is that all the letter-keys are locked. All the other keys (space, tab, shift etc.) seems to work just fine. The carriage seems to work as well too.

None of the letter bars seem to be stucked to eachother either. It feels like there is a mechanic lock somewhere. I have seached all over, from the underside too, but no luck in finding the lock.

After some research I think it is a Monarch Remington 1963 portable.
Photo: https://ibb.co/bRfSVq
The serialnumber is TRM 634772

I would be very grateful if somebody could help me getting this nostalgic typewriter to work again!

- André -

25-10-2018 22:32:42  #2

Re: All letter-keys are stucked (Monarch Remington)

Greetings André

Just finished doing a clean up and just about a complete re-set of the escapement mechanism on a 1967 Remington Monarch-1. By your description, it sounds like the type bars are stuck in the segment. Remove the ribbon cover by lifting the front edge to release the spring clips then unhook the back edge. Once the cover is removed, you should be able to gently lift the type bars one at a time up to the platen. If the type bars won't move, they are stuck in the segment by old dried oil. If someone sprayed WD-40 onto the segment, it's going to take a lot of cleaning to get everything freed up.

The carriage lock is located on the right hand end of the carriage rail, but if locked, does not affect type bar movement. When the carriage has hit the right margin, the type bar lock will prevent the type bars from contacting the platen, but they still move through ¾ of their normal travel. Depending on your mechanical ability, you may have to seek help from a typewriter repair shop on this one. Your unit has an interesting keyboard with what looks like Scandinavian characters. Just out of interest, where are you posting from? All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera